Chapter 23 - Reminiscing

During February, Dumbledore had stopped in the Hospital Wing for a visit and Katherine was grateful to see a different face next to her bed.

"Hello Katherine, how are you feeling today?" he greeted.

"Hey Albus. I'm okay so far," she said peacefully.

"I wanted to inform you that all your students were alerted a while ago as you requested, and they will no longer seek you out," said Albus.

"Thank you."

They chatted idly for a while, about simple things such as the headmaster's phoenix Fawkes being reborn out of the ashes again and Katherine's story about a cat she used to have. It was all quite pleasant and jovial.

Albus' blue eyes twinkled when a silence ensued and he noticed her glance in another direction as if in deep thought. "What's on your mind, dear?" he asked.

"While you're here, I've been meaning to ask you something lately, maybe as a last favour..." she explained, "Is there a possible way to capture memories through photos? If that makes any sense... it might sound really strange but-"

"Ah, you wish to, in a sense, take physical photos from your memories?" he understood, stroking his beard inquisitively. She nodded. "That would be very difficult to achieve, if it were possible then the level of magic required would be extremely advanced. I must say I am surprised, I have not thought or heard of this idea before."

Katherine groaned in defeat, laying her head back on her pillow. "That sucks."

He walked over and patted her shoulder. "Do not give up on the thought yet, Katherine, I will do some searching for you in between preparations for the second task," he assured her.

"Thanks," she murmured, watching the man in long purple robes leave her to her own thoughts.

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

Huff. Huff. Huff.

The brown-haired woman stood in between the bars, her hands clutching tightly onto them as she slowly moved her quivering legs, one step at a time. She couldn't believe it — how had her limbs grown so frail these months?

Severus stood to the side, watching as Katherine struggled and struggled, beads of sweat rapidly forming on her skin. If the choice was up to him, he wouldn't have come to see her at this time, but she had insisted for his presence to be by her side to witness her 'fight against her fate,' as she had put it.

Gritting her teeth in sheer determination, she pushed herself until the end of the row before collapsing onto the soft mat.

Severus was immediately at her side, about to help her up, but the doctor put up a hand, signalling to let her catch her breath for a few moments. Despite her ragged breaths, Katherine wiped her forehead and flashed a grin at the man in black robes, who gave her a nod of acknowledgement.

"You've done well today, Katherine," said the doctor, "Now, when you're ready, I have a few things to discuss with you."

"Okay." She pulled herself up using the bar and they helped her out of the training room and back to the soft hospital bed.

The doctor gave Severus a side glance and started, "Do you want-"

"Yeah, he can stay for whatever you're going to say," she affirmed. She wished she could take hold of the raven-haired man's hand, but she knew that he wouldn't like it in front of other people.

He nodded. "The date of the operation has been set to the seventeenth of May and you are required to stay at St Mungo's for tests a week prior. I have already informed Madam Pomfrey of this, but you will also be taking two doses of the medicine instead of one. Is that okay with you?"