Chapter Sixteen

Streampaw's POV.

"Nightpaw, come on!" I called angrily to Nightpaw as she was gathering together her moss for her nest.

"Coming, sorry!" Nightpaw called.

Tonight's the first night I'll be going to the half-moon meeting without Meadowheart.

I really didn't know if I could do it without her. We were all so shocked by her death..

Nightpaw came out of the den at last. "I'm going to say a few words to Meadowheart. Wait by the entrance."

Nightpaw nodded and walked over to the entrance. I padded to the center of camp. Cats parted the clearing as I walked up to Meadowheart.

I layed next to her head. "Oh Meadowheart, I don't know if I can do this without you.."

I licked the fur between Meadowheart's fur. I had so much more to learn from her.

Can I even receive my medicine cat name without her? I don't want to be Streampaw forever..

I rose up and padded over to Batstar who was talking to Skywing under the Greatledge.

"Batstar, before we bury Meadowheart tomorrow, I'd like to inspect her to see how she died." I said firmly. Batstar swiftly nodded.

"Will you be alright, Streampaw?" Batstar's gaze filled with concern. "I'll be fine, honestly. I just.. I miss her so much."

Batstar licked the fur between my ears comfortingly. Skywing touched noses with me.

"We love you so much, Streampaw." Skywing said.

"I love you guys too," I said. I looked at the sky, it was almost moonhigh. "I have to go. See you in the morning."

"Goodbye." Batstar muttered, Skywing briefly touched noses with her again.

I turned and padded slowly toward the entrance. "Let's go." I said to Nightpaw. I passed her and we walked quickly toward the Moonstone.

We reached the dip in no time, only Oceanbreeze from ShadowClan was there. I approached her nervously. Every time Oceanbreeze saw me she always looked happy and excited, which I guess was fine but something seemed off about her.

"Hi Streampaw- dog!!" Oceanbreeze's hackles rose and her fur fluffed up. Nighpaw darted behind me to avoid the she-cat's glare.

"Oceanbreeze, it's fine! This is Nightpaw," I used my tail to guide her out from behind me.

"Meadowheart passed away and I took Nightpaw as my apprentice." I explained calmly.

Oceanbreeze's hackles lowered and fur smoothed. "Oh. Well its.. it's nice to meet you, Nightpaw."

Nightpaw dipped her head. I could tell she was nervous. "You'll be okay, I promise." I whispered to her.

She gazed back up at me, concern in her eyes. I touched my nose to hers.

"I smell dog scent." A voice mewed from the top of the dip. Seagulltail, Pumpkinseed and Hopewish were all standing there with their eyes narrowed.

"It's just my apprentice Nightpaw. She will not cause any harm." I explained briefly.

"What happened to Meadowheart?" Croaked Seagulltail. The three climbed into the dip and stood close to me.

"She passed away just today. We should get going, we're wasting moonlight." Oceanbreeze responded. I shot her an annoyed glance, but she was right.

"And you took a dog as an apprentice? The leaders won't be happy." Hopewish said nervously.

"I don't care. She's my apprentice and she's amazing." I cast a kind glance toward Nightpaw, she smiled.

"We're wasting moonlight!" Oceanbreeze said, impatiently flicking her tail.

"Let's go." Seagulltail muttered. He lead the way into Mothermouth. Nightpaw and I followed, Oceanbreeze after, then Pumpkinseed and Hopewish.

The cave lead on, up a bit and then down. I could sense the rising nerve in Nightpaw.

"Hey don't worry. Everyone's first journey to the Moonstone is scary at first, but you have nothing to fear, we'll all be here to protect you." I comforted her.

"We're here." Seagulltail announced. All of us stayed in a collected group and waited for the Moonstone to light up.

"We're here already? But isn't the stone supposed to be bri-" Nightpaw was cut off as the Moonstone caught the moon's light.

It blinded me for a moment then my eyes adjusted to the light. "Woah!" Nightpaw exclaimed. "Beautiful."

"Isn't it?" Oceanbreeze breathed, blinking at the light.

"Come, let's sit-" Hopewish started but was interrupted by Pumpkinseed.

"Shouldn't we give Streampaw her medicine cat name?" Pumpkinseed said, she shifted her paws nervously.

"I want to talk to Meadowheart first." I said. And with that, the medicine cats took their placed by the Moonstone and layed down.

"Come, Nightpaw. Touch your nose to the stone and close your eyes then you'll share with StarClan." I directed Nightpaw.

She nervously approached the Moonstone and layed next to it. I followed and we touched our noses to the stone and were whisked away into StarClan.

I woke in a shimmering forest. I looked around. Wonderful. I am here. Everything in StarClan seemed so perfect, from the blades of grass to the gentle breeze flowing through my fur.

I then saw Hopewish, Pumpkinseed, Seagulltail and Nightpaw a few foxlengths away.

"Hey! We're sharing a dream!" I exclaimed and rushed to them.

Nightpaw's face lit up when she saw me. Aw, I thought, she is adorable.

"Maybe it will be your naming ceremony," Hopewish suggested.

"Probably." I replied. "What an honour to have it done in StarClan."

Then, a ghostly figure appeared. The familiar form of Meadowheart took place a few tail lengths away.

"Welcome, medicine cats of all Clans. As you must know, I am now hunting in StarClan, but there is one thing I've missed out when I was alive, and that was giving Streampaw her medicine cat name." Meadowheart sounded calm, and care-free. As she should be.

My eyes shone as she beckoned me forward. "My dearest ancestors, I know Streampaw has worked hard to understand the way of a medicine cat and will serve her Clan for the rest of her time."

"Streampaw, do you promise to uphold the ways of a medicine cat, to stand apart from rivalry between Clans and to protect all cats equally?" Meadowheart spoke the traditional words for the ceremony.

I closed my eyes. "I do, Meadowheart."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your true name as a medicine cat. From this day forward you will now be known as Streamsight. StarClan honours your determination and strength and we welcome you as a full medicine cat of StormClan." When Meadowheart finished, she rested her chin on my head. Her touch sent shivers through me. I licked her shoulder in respect.

"Streamsight! Streamsight! Streamsight! Streamsight!" The other medicine cats greeted me by my new name.

"Oh Meadowheart.." I whispered. "Why did you die.."

Meadowheart sighed softly. She extended a claw and scraped three markings in the dirt below her.

"Beware, Streamsight. One you think you know, you don't know at all.." Meadowheart begun to fade.

"Meadowheart, no! Wait!" I rushed to where she was standing previously but she had already gone.

I turned to the other medicine cats. "Who can't we trust..?" I breathed.