~1~

Your P.O.V

"We only have two classes together." Garroth whined and leaned his head on my shoulder.

"We only had two classes together last year." I said placing my hand hand on the side of his head and pushing as hard as I could. He dug his forehead into my shoulder and kept his head in place.

"I can't go that long without seeing you." He whined.

Despite what I told Garroth, I spent a little too much time with him over the summer. He had become slightly annoying, but in the best way possible.

"You're annoying." I said.

Garroth made a mumbled noise but didn't move. I pushed at his face again and he rolled his head off my shoulder. He leaned back but still slouched to the side. I reached behind me and patted his knee.

"Now who am I supposed to cheat off of in history?" I asked.

"Find a new whore to give you answers." Garroth said. I could hear in his voice that he was stretching.

"I'll be your whore Y/N." Katelyn announced proudly.

"You have second period history?" I asked, looking over at her.

"What? I thought you had fourth." Katelyn whined.

"Not anymore." I stated, holding up the paper in my hand.

As if standing in a line for nearly an hour wasn't enough, the school graciously informed us they had to make afew schedule changes. It wasn't that big of a deal but still annoyed everyone because this is what our lives had revolved around for the past week as we all tried to figure out who we shared classes with.

"Do any of you have second period history?" I asked, turning around and looking towards most of the group that was sitting behind me.

"Negative, space cadet." Travis said, holding his empty hand up to his mouth and making walkie talkie noises.

"Whatever, I'll just flunk." I said leaning backwards with Garroth's knee between my shoulder blades. I said it, but I knew it wasn't true.

"Do your own work, cheater." Dante said, from afew people away from me. He didn't sound sarcastic but everyone knew he did a miniscule amount of his own work.

"Says you." Laurance spat.

They glared at each other a moment before Dante eventually began pushing Laurance in the side, making him slide on the bleachers. Laurance pushed back, doing a whole lot of nothing.

"Stop it, stop it." Garroth whined, only because he was sitting right infront of Laurance and was being hit in the back by Laurance's knees.

"Do you have second period history?" I asked, turning towards Cadenza who was fairly far from me but I knew she would hear me.

She had barely spoken, which was extremely odd for her. She was looking away from me while I talked, up into the corner of the bleachers. I wasn't sure if anyone else had noticed, but I was positive she was looking up at Vylad, who was sitting with his own usual friend group. She turned towards me slowly and shook her head no at me.

Despite everyone agreeing at the end of the school year that it wouldn't be weird if Vylad and Cadenza dated, it definitely was. They spent more time together than Garroth and I did, which I didn't know was possible. And other than large gatherings where we all got together, Cadenza was pretty much missing. It also got increasingly more awkward every time Cadenza and I were both at the Ro'meaves house without knowing, which happened more times than I can count.

"Gar-" I had turned to the side slightly to look back and talk to him, but the loud feedback of a microphone got my attention instead. I turned towards the principal but then back towards Garroth as he leaned down to me.

"What?" He said in a whisper.

"What study hall do you have?" I asked, not because we had the same period, which we didn't, but just because I wanted to know.

"Coach Burr." He said quietly.

I turned around in my seat even farther and looked at him. I hadn't realized it for a long time but Garroth's needs were constantly being catered to. Whether it was because the school loved his family or because they were just good at doing their job, Garroth was always in study hall with his Math teacher. It was never really any of my business, not that I cared.

"I thought-"

"I know." He stated dully, "I used to have Mrs. Burke, they changed me." He held his schedule up unenthusiastically.

Our principle went on a long tangent that I don't remember happening the previous year. I was completely convinced no one was listening until she changed the subject suddenly and everyone's ears perked up.

"Due to a boiler issue at Neopolitan High, the students of Neopolitan along with some of their staff will be coming here for the year starting tomorrow." As if wanting to leave an awkward conversation, she stepped away from the microphone and walked back towards the line of teachers she was originally standing in. Everyone immediately began whispering and filling the silence of the gym.

I turned backwards towards Garroth. I knew some of the schools in the area because I attended so many softball, basketball, and volleyball games but I still didn't really know the area.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Community school like 30 minutes away. They have like 200 kids, we never play them." He said.

I nodded.

"I think they're really good at stuff." Sasha, who was sitting next to me, said.

"They're really good at stuff." I laughed at Sasha's remark even though I knew what she meant.

"You know, sports stuff." Sasha looked from me and then back towards Garroth who shrugged at her.

Despite spending all summer with out friend group as well as Garroth, Sasha was still pretty guarded around Garroth. She would never admit it and Garroth never said anything so maybe it was only something I noticed.

"Now," The chatty room suddenly got silent again as the microphone blared throughout all of the rooms speakers with our superintendents voice, "everyone will be proceeding through stations today. As we are missing all of Neopolitan High classes will begin tomorrow and club meetings will proceed today."

I looked back at Garroth who's expression was bored as he realized we now got to sit in a booth all day for club meetings.