~12~

Your P.O.V

"Aye! Quit throwing potatoes at my girlfriend."

I did not flinch when I got hit with a slice of potato, nor did I look back at Laurance who I know was the one throwing them.

"It was meant for you." Laurance said.

"Well it was a horrible shot. I was no where near her." Garroth said.

I looked up at him with a glare.

"You're supposed to be peeling potatoes." I said.

"You're getting shot at." Garroth said. He bent down and picked up the potato slice between his fingers and flung it over to Laurance in their tiny kitchen. I turned and watched the potato fly over to them and hit Blaze, who clearly saw it coming.

"Cause you're messing with them." I said, knowing that Laurance would stop messing around the instant Garroth stoped giving him attention.

"What's wrong with you?" Garroth asked. He lowered his voice as he walked towards me, which was my only indication that he wasn't joking.

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you?" I asked.

"What? You're the one questioning Blaze about Nickel at lunch." He whispered.

"No I wasn't, Katelyn was." I said, which we both know is particularly a lie.

"Katelyn was just being nosey." He said.

"And I'm not allowed to be nosey?" I asked.

"I'm just wondering why you want to know so bad. You sound like you don't believe him."

"Maybe I don't. I just wanted to know." I said.

"What do you mean you don't? Why don't you believe him." Garroth asked. His voice was so hushed at this point I had to strain my ears to hear him.

"It's not that I don't believe him Gar. It's just a little weird. We don't know them. Blaze or Nickel, and they probably both have two way different stories about why they hate each other." I said.

"But you'd rather believe Blaze than Nickel." He said, it as a statement, "Right?"

"I don't know." I shrugged, "Would you peel a potato?"

Garroth turned away from me and dramatically grabbed a potato and peeler off the counter before he dramatically turned back to me.

"What do you mean you don't know. Nickel was gonna fight me!" Garroth said in the most aggressive whisper her could muster.

"You got into an argument it's not like he swung at you, but yes, that does put him on my suspicion list." I said.

"And Blaze is the one that stopped it." Garroth said, his whisper exasperated.

"I know Garroth! I was there." I said in a voice that was now too loud to be a whisper.

He said nothing, and instead looked down and finally started peeling a potato. There was a small silence between us where there was only the sound of the people around us, and peeling potatoes. I knew he was going to be the one to break this silence.

"I just don't get why your defending Nickel."

"He hasn't done anything to us, and he's nice to me in class." I said.

Garroth leaned back like he had been hit by a wave and then immediately leaned towards me again.

"Of coarse he's nice to you in class Y/N. You're hot. He's probably got blue balls sitting next to you." Garroth said quietly and breathily.

I glared at him.

"Ew, Garroth."

"I'm serious." He said, in the most serious voice he could muster.

"I'm not defending anyone. I just wanna know more." I said.

"Okay."

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey will you put in a good word for me with Nickel?" Ellie asked. She seemed to have spring this on me completely randomly, just as we entered the dugout for practice.

"What?" I asked. My voice came out completely monotonous which I think must have been a side effect of being too surprised. I looked over at her in disbelief.

"You know, tell him about your cute friend Ellie." Ellie smiled at me like a dog.

"Why?" I asked.

"Cause he's smoking hot, what do you mean?" Ellie said.

"But why are you asking me this? I'm not friends with Nickel." I said.

"You talk to him all the time in Math class." Ellie stated.

"He talks at me. Sometimes I don't even respond." I said.

"You still talk to him. So you can mention me, unless you're into him." She said it as a statement rather then a question which angered me.

"Ellie I have a boyfriend." I said.

"I know I was just checking." Ellie stated, sounding a bit too much like Marcus.

"Why does everyone feel the need to question me today?" I asked blurting out my anger.

"Who else is questioning you?" Ellie asked immediately, wanting the drama.

"Garroth." I said, aggressively unzipping my bag.

"What's he questioning you about?" Ellie asked instantly, crazy curiosity slipping out of her voice.

"About Nickel." I said.

"Oh." Ellie stated quietly.

"Oh what?" I asked loudly.

"Well, are you guys okay?" She said it quietly as if she feared I would yell at her.

"Garroth and I?" I asked.

"Yeah." She said, and looked as if she was shrinking in her own skin. A look I had never seen from Ellie before.

"Garroth and I are fine." I said, but then added, "He's annoying the shit out of me lately but we're fine."

Ellie didn't look like she believed me but she regained her voice regardless.

"Fine enough to ask if we can have practice together." She smiled thoughtfully. I dropped my shoulders and glared at her.

"He already told you they have like thirty kids on the baseball team." I stated.

"Yeah but he could just tell the JV team not to come. Besides, didn't we have fun last year. We can split up teams even more fair this year, and keep score." Ellie stated.

I stared at her knowing she was partially right. Last year our fake practice with the boys was the most fun practice of the season. This year had changed slightly. To put things bluntly, whatever team had Garroth would win, and I do not look forward to trying to hit Garroth's pitches.

"Garroth doesn't want to." I stated, which was another true reason.

"So what just ask him."

"Fine"