7. THE NEW ADVENTURE

ONE MONTH AGO

Living in the big city alone without any family or friends proved to be very challenging for me. From the moment that I wake up till I lay my head, I constantly needed to struggle to make ends meet.

I thought a day like this will never happen in my life; a day where I'll have to stay alone, and work for myself.

I had to always work tirelessly on any job I got, to put food on the table for myself daily, and since I couldn't get a constant job, I always had to roam searching for any available job.

Well life didn't look fun now without the boys, but at least, I was free from crime.

I moved three towns away from where I was nearly killed, and got myself a cute single room with the money I took from the house. Didn't that sound embarrassing?

"Good morning sir." I greeted.
"Good morning" the shopkeeper replied, slurping on his coffee.
"I was here yesterday to pack goods to your store. Is there any other job available for me today sir?" I inquired sounding respectful as ever.
"I'm really sorry but there is non available today." he answered.

I hung my head and turned to leave.
Try harder James...Try harder. My inner voice spoke to me.

I couldn't just give up, I had to make him know I really wanted the job.

"I can really help with anything you need sir, I can clean, wash, pack and unpack any goods at all." I pleaded.

"Just stop right there young man." demanded the shopkeeper.
"We have people for all that, you can leave now." he said curtly.

I gave a bitter smile and thanked him for even giving me the opportunity to speak. That's the best any of them has done for me so far.

With my head lowered and shoulders dropped, I left the shop in an attempt to find a job elsewhere.

I've been my own friend and family ever since those cons I called friends abandoned me.
Yes! Ever since they left me here to suffer alone.

The money I kept from the robbery has really sustained me on my journey. It has helped me rent a room. A cheap room for a cheaper price of course.
And now I had to get a job.
The rate at which the money was finishing was surprising. Everything in my new locations was expensive.

I will keep on searching for a job.

I stayed alone in the lonely city for weeks, and day in and day out, I woke up with determination and energy to find a job but I always got disappointed at the end of the day.

It was a hot sunny afternoon in the city. Not only was the temperature high, but it was a bit muggy as well, and the constant search for a job which I wasn't getting any, had me walking aimlessly on the pavement of the city when I came across a book on the ground.

The dirt on the cover of the book showed how long it had been on that pavement without an owner.
Well the book didn't look that attractive, but I took it anyway.

It's indeed true that life doesn't always present you with what you want.

"I want a job and I'm rather getting a book on the ground for free." I guffawed, as I mocked myself, raking my fingers through my hair.

I wiped the dirt off the book immediately I took it.
I've always been a lover of books since my childhood.

I used to live in a house where everyone always had their heads buried in books, due to the fact that my father was an Author.

A struggling Author I should say.

Both my parents were voracious readers. Book addicts I must say, but I wasn't one, and I didn't want to become one. All I wanted to do was to play football and sleep, but they didn't allow me.
And in the long run, I became like them; an avid reader.