Chapter 9. The Mountain Climb

Out in the wild, unexpected things happen out of a sudden. The weather can be warm and sunny one minute and the next minute, it's rain, thunder and harsh winds. Ryder and the animals were half way through the big climb when the sky started changing from blue to grey in an instance. "Great, rain! Now the mountain is gonna become slippery!" Sarah groaned. "It's a good thing I don't have to climb" Scurry showed off as he flew past the others who were struggling to climb.
"And it's a good thing I'm small and I get to ride on Sarah's back" Butterscotch said, who was sitting on Sarah's back.
"Bruno, how are you gonna kill the VampireWolf  if you're struggling to climb a mountain?" Sarah asked, glancing at the black wolf who was having a pretty tough time climbing.

"How is Ryder gonna kill the VampireWolf is he's struggling to climb a mountain?" Bruno asked. "Ryder has an excuse. He was never an animal so certain things are gonna be tough to do, like eating raw meat. But I know he will adjust soon. But with you, you've always been an animal so climbing a mountain shouldn't be hard" Sarah explained.

"Don't make me throw you down the mountain" Bruno growled. Sarah and Ryder glanced at each other and giggled.
The rain filled clouds finally let loose, letting all the rain shower down onto the mountain and the valley. The water made the mountain slippery within seconds. Ryder placed a paw on an edge of the mountain but he soon discovered that it was a loose stone. The stone gave way and Ryder lost his balance. "Ahhh!" he screamed. "Ryder!" Sarah shouted.
Ryder started sliding down the mountain. The rough texture scraped through his pelt and ripped a gash in Ryder's stomach.
Blood started gushing out immediately. "Butterscotch, get off of me" Sarah said. The rabbit hopped off of the leopard's back and onto a ledge.

Sarah immediately ran down the mountain to Ryder. "Leave him to die!" Bruno yelled. Scurry hurried down and gripped Ryder's pelt with his feet so that Ryder won't keep sliding down the slippery mountain.
The wolf-dog's pelt was dripping from how drenched it was, his once shiny fur was dull and dirty, he was exhausted and panting, and he was bleeding intensely from the gash under his stomach. "Help me get him on my back" Sarah said frantically. The skinny crane tried his hardest to lift the heavy wolf-dog onto Sarah's back.

"Bruno, come help! Don't just stare like this is an show!" Sarah yelled. "It is a show! I'm not coming down!" Bruno hollered from above.
Sarah managed to get Ryder on her back. His blood was staining her beautiful spotted pelt but she didn't care not one bit.
The leopard struggled to the top, but eventually everyone made it to the top of the mountain.
Sarah put Ryder gently on the ground. "We have to get to the village. The healer will know what to do about that deep gash and how to stop the bleeding" Butterscotch said.
"Your right, we have to keep going despite the rain" Sarah said. "Your fur is stained in blood, if you didn't know" Bruno said.
"I know that and I don't care" said the leopard, putting Ryder on her back again.

"Your obsessed with that wolf-dog" Bruno mumbled. The climb down the mountain was hard, rough and tiring. When they made it to the bottom, Sarah rushed through the evergreen forest with Ryder on her back. Ryder had fainted from the amount of blood he lost. The others ran with Sarah.
"He's gonna die. What's the point in wasting our herbs and our healer's time on trying to heal a dead animal?" Bruno asked as he ran besides Sarah.
"I'm gonna deal with you when this is over" Sarah said. The animals arrived upon a clearing in the middle of the pine forest. There were dens made of mud that looked like small caves.

The entrances of some of the dens had a curtain made of an animal pelt hanging over it. There was a clearing in the middle of the encircled dens. "Charlotte, I need your help immediately!" Sarah called.

From a mud den, a white wolf emerged. "You guys are back!" she howled. "We have no time to celebrate. He needs your help right now" Sarah tilted her head to Ryder who was laying faintly on her back.
Without saying anything, Charlotte rushed over to Sarah and helped her take Ryder into the den. Ryder was put on a soft moss nest in the dim den.
"I need to focus so can you please leave?" Charlotte asked Sarah. "Will he be okay?" Sarah questioned. "If you let me do my job" Charlotte answered. Sarah hesitantly exited the den. "Guys! Sarah, Bruno, Scurry and Butterscotch are back!" a raccoon yelled out from a hole in a tree. Animals started emerging from their dens and cheering for Sarah and her friends. "It's great that your back, bro!" a grey rabbit hopped over to Butterscotch.
"Hopper! I missed you so much!" Butterscotch said. Hopper is one Butterscotch's close friend.

"I have a lot to tell you but I think it's best that we go to the burrow. I really need to dry up and eat something" Butterscotch said.
"I renovated the burrow. I added extra hay, made more space and brought in extra pelts" Hopper explained.
"That's great bro!" Butterscotch hopped over with Hopper to their burrow. Bruno walked away to his den. In the village, Bruno is very solitary and to himself. He has no friends except for Sarah, Scurry and Butterscotch, but even with them, he's still kinda rude and not so friendly.
"Did you guys find the wolf who is suppose to kill the VampireWolf?" a squirrel asked Sarah. "Yes we found him, he's actually wolf-dog. He's being healed by Charlotte" Sarah explained.

The animals departed into their dens and burrows to take shelter from the rain. In  Charlotte's den, Ryder was beginning to awaken from his faint. His blue eyes cracked open and he lifted his head weakly. "W-where am I?" he asked.
"Your in a safe den, under the care of me" Charlotte said.
Ryder's eyes widened when they landed on the white wolf. Her fur was pure white like the moon and her eyes were sparkling blue like the stars. "Where is Sarah and the others?" Ryder asked. "Their departed to their dens to take shelter from the rain" Charlotte explained.
Ryder sighed with relief to know that his friends were safe and he was under the care of a healer.
Charlotte noticed that Ryder's eyes had a soft glow to them. She really wanted to ask him why did his eyes have a glow to them but she decided to save the question for another time.

The soft glow of Ryder's eyes makes him different from ordinary animals because he is no ordinary animal. "What's your name?" Charlotte asked.
"My name? My name is Ryder" Ryder answered. "Wow! I've never heard a name like that. I like it" the she-wolf said. "My name is Charlotte."
"I always loved that name. It's beautiful" Ryder said. Charlotte smiled. Ryder looked away and at his paws. There was a silence between them that made Ryder feel uncomfortable.
He felt like Charlotte was staring at him, but not in a cold or harsh way.
The silence in the air was broken by the growl of Ryder's empty stomach. "You must be hungry?" Charlotte said. "Y-yeah, I am" Ryder giggled nervously. He still didn't want to eat raw meat.

"What's your favorite type of prey?" Charlotte asked. "Uhh, maybe squirrel" Ryder unsurely said. "Okay, I'll be back with a squirrel" Charlotte left the den and soon returned with a squirrel in her mouth.
She dropped it infront of Ryder and sat a close distance away.
I got to eat or either I'll starve to death. I can't let Charlotte become suspicious about me because I'm not eating the squirrel Ryder thought. Ryder bit into the squirrel and chew it fast and then swallowed it.
He was so hungry, that he didn't even notice he finished the entire squirrel.
"Do you want water?" Charlotte asked.
"Yes please" Ryder politely said.

Charlotte left the den and returned with a rock that was bowl-shaped and it was filled with water. Ryder lapped up the water and by now, his thirst and hunger was satisfied.
Ryder yawned and relaxed his body in the moss nest.
"While you rest, I'll be resting in my nest also. But soon I will be checking on your wound and cleaning it again, to keep all infections away" Charlotte explained. "Okay, thank you Charlotte" Ryder said.
"For what?" Charlotte asked. "You know, like taking care of my wound, giving me food and water" Ryder said. "Just doing my job" Charlotte said. Their gazes were locked on each other for a few seconds until Charlotte finally walked over to her nest.
Ryder laid his head on his paw. He started drifting off into a sleep when a horrifying howl broke through camp.
"The VampireWolf!" a squirrel screamed from outside.

Word count: 1,553Date of publication: February 8, 2022

Word count: 1,553
Date of publication: February 8, 2022