Chapter 11. Life Without Ryder

It was another dull day at the Lookout. The pups were sleeping together in the TV room. Chase and Marshall had slept on the same pup-bed. Chase couldn't bear to leave his best friend's side. He was literally so broken, so in pain and feeling so miserable.
It was still early and the pups were sleeping, except for Chase.
He was quietly looking at photos on Ryder's pup-pad. It was photos of Ryder and the pups having fun together. Chase saw a photo of everyone together. Ryder was holding the pup-pad and the pups all squeezed in to be part of the picture. Chase looked at Ryder's face, he looked so happy. "Ryder" a tear dropped from Chase's eye.

"Chase" a whisper came from Chase's right side. Chase sighed sadly. He wasn't able to keep in everything that was running through his body. So he broke into a sob, throwing his head on the soft cushion.
His sob awoke the other pups. "Chase, are you okay?" Skye asked. "He's not and we're gonna have to really be there for him. This is hitting him harder than us" Marshall said.
Skye got out of her pup-bed and walked over to Chase. Rocky got up and fetched some tissue for Chase so he can wipe his pouring tears.
"I'm not gonna be able to lead the team" Chase said. "Chase, yes you will be able to. You feel like that right now because this is the only the beginning of this sad situation of losing Ryder. But as time goes by, you will become stronger and you will be the next great leader of the PAW Patrol" Skye said in a soft and soothing tone.

Suddenly Katie walked in. "Morning pups" she smiled. "Morning Katie" the pups said in a not so bright tone. "Let's start the day by having breakfast" Katie said. Rubble who loved food, didn't get so excited for breakfast.
The pups walked slowly to the kitchen. Marshall got up and started limply walking because of his cast.
Chase stood in bed. "Chase? Aren't you gonna have breakfast?" Marshall asked. "I don't have an appetite. I'll see if I can eat later" Chase said. "Don't starve yourself to death" Marshall said and then walked away.
Katie placed all of the bowls in a line and started pouring the food.
The pups walked over to their bowls slowly and started eating.
"Where's Chase?" Katie asked. "He said he's gonna eat later" Marshall answered. Katie left the kitchen and found Chase lying on the pup-bed still. "Chase, do you wanna speak?" Katie asked in a gentle tone. "No" Chase's tone came out cold.

"Okay" Katie said. After breakfast, the pups didn't know what to do next. Usually after breakfast with Ryder, if they didn't get any calls yet, Ryder would play with them or they would get things done like if one of their vehicles needed some repairing or if the Lookout needed a good cleaning.
But the mood was different. No one wanted to do anything.
"What did you pups use to do with Ryder after breakfast?" Katie asked. "If there weren't any calls yet, we would do daily life things" Rocky started. "Ryder would play with us. Or if any of our vehicles needed some repairing, I would help him repair it. Or if the Lookout hadn't been cleaned, we would sweep, mop, and organize everything together."

"Or sometimes Ryder would spend time brushing our fur and bathing us. Or sometimes we would hang out in the TV room. Us pups would play Pup Pup Boogie and Ryder would playing a game on his pup-pad.
But when we had calls coming in, we threw everything aside and got our rescues done. Life was sweet until now."
Chase heard everything Rocky was saying. His heart was aching physically and tears were escaping his eyes.
"Katie, as much as you want to do for us, there's nothing you can really do besides feeding us and grooming us when the time comes" Marshall said. "I think we would prefer to be alone" said Rubble.

"You pups are right. I'll come when it's feeding time and when it's time to bathe you guys. But if you need anything, don't hesitate to call me" Katie said. "We won't" Marshall said.
"I'm gonna get going now. Cali is probably waking up" Katie said.
"Bye Katie" the pups said. "Bye pups" said Katie.

                              •~•~•~•~•

By late morning, the pups hadn't done anything until Skye spoke up. "Guys, if we just do nothing, we're never gonna get over this great grief. We can't just live the rest of our lives in misery. It's okay to grieve but we're not gonna stay here for hours doing nothing,"
"Skye is wight" Zuma said.
"Skye is totally right. If we do nothing, we will never get over this grief" Marshall said.
"Plus, Ryder would want us to continue our lives and live happily even if we don't have him. He would want Chase to continue leading the team" Rubble said.
Chase got up and started walking to the elevator. "Where are you going?" Skye asked. "I'm going to the mission room, duh" Chase coldly said.