Chapter 17. Approaching Battle

The day after the gem hunt, Ryder and his friends started preparing for the final battle. Ryder was obviously gonna be the one to kill the VampireWolf but his friends were gonna help him track down the beast. "Today is the day where I will kill the VampireWolf" Ryder said.
He stood standing bravely, his shiny silver fur shimmering under the suns light, his electric blue eyes glowing, a frown masked on his face, his chest puffed out and the necklace hanging from his neck. The necklace was mostly hidden in his thick fur. It wasn't too visible.
"You can do it Ryder!" Sarah cheered.
"Kick that wolfs butt, Ryder!" Bruno said. Ryder giggled and so did the others. "If I were Ryder, I wouldn't dare go near that beast" Scurry said.
"Ryder is the most brave character I've ever met" Bruno said. "Totally the bravest" Charlotte said.
"Oh please, guys. There are others who are braver than me" Ryder said.

"I don't think so" Sarah said. "Alright everybody, let's get going" Bruno barked.

                              •~•~•~•~•

A few moments later, they were all walking on a damp dirt path that cut its way throughout the forest. Ryder has taken the lead, since he had the strongest sense of smell. Scurry was searching for the VampireWolf from the sky.
"You better be careful not to lose that gem during the battle" Bruno said. "I won't lose it" Ryder continued sniffing the ground until he halted and everyone behind him came to a stop also.
"What is it?" Sarah asked.
"I smell him. This scent trail is fresh. He was here four hours ago" Ryder explained. "Wow! How do you come out with the correct time?" Butterscotch asked.
"It's just one of my powers" said Ryder. "He can't be so far then" Charlotte said. "Look at those prints over there" Bruno ran up to some clean paw-prints that were in the damp path.

"Let's go!" Ryder said, starting to run with everyone following him.

•~•~•~•~•

In a dim lair in Foggy Bottom, the VampireWolf was standing infront of his master, Mayor Humdinger.
"VampireWolf, I'm still very upset with you for turning Ryder into a wolf-dog. He now has so many powers and you can't even defeat him. My plan was to kill Ryder, not turn him into something else" Mayor Humdinger explained.
"But I'm a genius and I know how to turn bad fortune into good fortune. Ryder is gonna stay out in the wild for the rest of his life. At least he's gonna be in sadness and misery because he can't go back to his pups, that makes me happy."

"Yeah Chase is being a good leader but those disgusting pups are vulnerable without their former-leader. So your new mission, VampireWolf, is to kill Chase. Once Chase is killed, Marshall will then become the next leader and he's a really clumsy and useless pup which will make him a bad leader."

"The PAW Patrol will become even more vulnerable and that's when you'll get rid of the rest of the pups. But for now, you need to focus on the one who's making those others pups strong."

The VampireWolf barked obediently. Mayor Humdinger mounted his back and the Kitten Catastrophe Crew got in the kitten carrier. "We're off to Adventure Bay!" Mayor Humdinger said.
The VampireWolf howled and then ran off with the mayor riding his back.

•~•~•~•~•

"I think Mayor Humdinger has something to do with this. The VampireWolf's scent is trailing back to Foggy Bottom again" Ryder said. "I don't get how he was able to tame the VampireWolf. From the old tale, it's obvious that the beast didn't like people. That's why he attacked those travelers' camp and killed them" Charlotte explained.
"Time will reveal the truth" said Ryder.

•~•~•~•~•

"Ruff! Megaphone!" Chase barked. Chase was on Main Street in Adventure Bay, controlling traffic. "Cars, please stop! Let these little ducks walk across!" Chase said. The driving cars halted, letting a mama duck and her ducklings walk across the road to their pond. "Aww, their so cute!" Skye said, who was with Chase. Chase smiled and focused on his job.

•~•~•~•~•

Meanwhile, Marshall was helping Mayor Goodway plant new flowers infront of Town Hall. Rubble was at the beach, using his shovel from his pup-pack to build a sand castles with Alex, Julia and Julius.
Zuma was surfing on the waves at the bay.
Rocky was helping Mr. Porter load his truck with fruits and vegetables.
Life was normal for everyone, but for the pups, they were going through things internally. Even though Chase was leading the team greatly and he looked strong from the outside, he was weak inside.
He thought about Ryder 24/7.
He thought about him so much, he was having a dream about Ryder each night. Chase was internally fighting to be strong because he knew he had to.
The other pups were going through it also, just not as hard as Chase was.

                               •~•~•~•~•

"We have to hurry! The VampireWolf is heading to Adventure Bay!" Ryder said, running even faster.
They had seen Mayor Humdinger and the VampireWolf heading to Adventure Bay from a cliff in Foggy Bottom. "Ryder, how are you gonna kill the VampireWolf? He's going to Adventure Bay and that means you're gonna have to show yourself" Sarah said. "I'll try something" Ryder said, and then continued running.

•~•~•~•~•

The VampireWolf arrived upon Adventure Bay. He was standing on top of a cliff that overlooked the town. Mayor Humdinger grabbed a pair of purple binoculars and started zooming into the town to spot Chase. "Where is that pesky German Shepherd?" Mayor Humdinger said.
"There!"
"Go VampireWolf! Get that pup!"
The beast started running down the cliff along with the mayor on his back. When they got into the middle of town, people started screaming and running.
"The VampireWolf!"
"He's back!"
"Help!"
"Ahhhhhh!"

"Don't worry citizens, soon I'll be your new mayor!" Mayor Humdinger screamed. "Deploy the fire barrier!" he commanded. The VampireWolf stood up, his claws started going on flames and then he came down with all force.
Hot wind blew through town and a circle of fire encircled Adventure Bay. "What's going on?" Chase asked. "The VampireWolf is back!" Mayor Goodway screamed. Everyone was screaming and running in a panic.

Chase turned around and gasped. The VampireWolf was standing a few feet away, glaring at the pup who was so much more smaller than he.
"Gooooo!" Mayor Humdinger commanded. The VampireWolf leaped in the air and went flying at Chase.

•~•~•~•~•

Ryder and his friends had been watching from a cliff. "I have to go, now!" Ryder said. "Everyone is gonna see you?" Bruno stopped Ryder. "But that's my pup and I will do anything to save him. If I will die to save my pups, I will surely save them even if I am a wolf-dog" Ryder said, "I don't care what anyone thinks of me and what my pups think. I'm gonna kill that beast right infront of everyone!"
"We're coming also" Sarah said.

Word count: 1,184Date of publication: February 13, 2022

Word count: 1,184
Date of publication: February 13, 2022