Chapter 12. Destroyed Camp

During the long walk back home, Ryder had started feeling awkward. His muscles were beginning to stiffen and he was starting to feel intense pain. He was struggling to breathe and he felt as if his body was slowly becoming paralyzed from how stiff his muscles were getting.
"Ryder, are you okay?" Charlotte asked. "No, I don't know what's going on with me" Ryder said, who's head was hanging weakly and he was walking sluggishly. "Guys, we gotta stop and rest" Charlotte called out to the others. "Why?" Bruno asked.
"Ryder isn't feeling good" Charlotte answered.
"Ryder, what's going on?" Sarah asked.
"I don't know" Ryder was now gasping for oxygen. "My...lungs...are...tightening."
"We gotta get back to camp so that he can rest in a den and Charlotte can check him" Butterscotch said. "Guys" Scurry flew down from the air.

"What?" Charlotte asked. "Our camp is destroyed" Scurry said, "I just saw it from above." "Oh no. The wind and thunder must've destroyed it" Sarah said. "What are we gonna do?" Scurry asked.
"Ryder needs to lay down somewhere. We can't just stand in this soaked forest" said Charlotte with frantic eyes.
"Scurry, fly up and see if you can spot a cave or something" Sarah commanded. "Okay" the crane flapped his wings and took the sky.
"Ryder, breath easily and rest" Charlotte said. Ryder got down and folded his legs in and kept his head low, trying to breath steadily. But he wasn't able to breath effortlessly. He had to keep gasping for air.

"What are you feeling?" Charlotte asked, trying to figure out what was going on with Ryder. "I can't breath" Ryder gasped. "My muscles are stiffening, I feel intense pain, and I feel like I'm being paralyzed." "That sounds like the effects of being bitten by a venomous cobra" said Charlotte. "But he wasn't bitten by a snake" said Bruno.
"I know that but the symptoms he's feeling are similar to the effects of being bitten by a snake" Charlotte explained.
"There's a cave a distance away but it will take some walking" Scurry announced. "Good, lead the way" Sarah said. "Come on Ryder. Let's go. You can rest when we reach shelter" Charlotte helped Ryder to his paws.
He leaned on the smaller white wolf and started limply walking. Everyone else walked at a slow pace for him.

•~•~•~•~•

The walk through the drenched forest was hard but they eventually made it to the cave that overlooked the evergreen expanse. Ryder was completely paralyzed by the time they made it.
He was lying on the dry cave ground, with Charlotte overlooking him.
"I'm gonna need some of you to fetch some herbs for me" Charlotte said. "What do you need?" Sarah asked. Charlotte listed some herbs she needed. Sarah, Butterscotch and Scurry took off in the rain to get the herbs. Bruno stood at the cave, resting his weakened body. He was Charlotte's second patient.
She needed to heal his wounds from the battle with the VampireWolf. "I'm trying to think what's causing Ryder this paralyzation" Charlotte sat down.

"I think it was the VampireWolf's blood" Ryder said weakly was who lying down. "It tasted poisonous, that's why the minute I tasted it, I let go of his neck." "If his blood is toxic, how are you gonna kill him without biting him?" Charlotte asked.
"I'll find a way" Ryder threw his head on the solid grey ground.

•~•~•~•~•

Some time later, Sarah, Butterscotch and Scurry returned with the herbs. They helped Charlotte make two soft moss nests for Ryder and Bruno...and for themselves also so they could sleep comfortably tonight. While Charlotte tended to her patients, Sarah went out hunting for all the carnivores.
Scurry flew off to the river to get himself fish and Butterscotch hopped away to get himself some flowers and grass.
It was really hard doing these kind of things in the rain. It was cold, wet, muddy, windy, and slippery, all the things that create a bad day.
Charlotte gave Ryder some herbs mixed with honey that was suppose to help to loosen and relax his muscles and un-paralyze his body.

She gave him another herb which was suppose to help with breathing and then another herb that was suppose to fight off the toxicities that were flowing through Ryder's body. While the herbs were doing there job in Ryder's body, Charlotte tended to Bruno's wounds. She cleaned them and covered them in fresh leaves that were suppose to keep all infections away and help the wounds heal faster.
By the time she finished caring for her patients which took nearly two hours, the others arrived with food.

"You guys didn't get any fire wood?" Charlotte questioned. "I think it's pretty obvious that everything is soaked outside" Butterscotch said. "Oh yeah, right" Charlotte giggled.
"At least we have dinner and a shelter to stay in for the night" Scurry said.
"Where did the animals from the camp go?" Ryder asked in a low tone. "I sent them to another far away camp that is a lot larger than ours" Sarah answered.

                              •~•~•~•~•

After dinner, everyone got in their moss nests. Charlotte's one was very close to Ryder's. Sarah's was on the opposite wall of Ryder and Charlotte's nests. Besides hers was Scurry's nest. Against the wall that faced the entrance, Bruno and Butterscotch's nests were there.
"How are you feeling?" Charlotte asked Ryder in a low tone.
"The herbs are working...but slowly" Ryder replied. "At least there working" Charlotte said. Ryder just sighed and placed his head on his paw.
"What's wrong, Ryder?" asked Charlotte. "Nothing, I'm fine" Ryder whispered. The others were sleeping and he didn't want to wake them.

"Ryder, what's bothering you?" Charlotte asked. "I just told you, nothing!" Ryder stared at the white wolf. "So your telling me that your totally fine? That sigh you just gave tells me that your not totally fine" Charlotte protested.
Ryder stared at her for a minute and then looked at his paws. "It's just, I miss my pups back home. I wish there was a way for me to return to my human form and go back to my true home and my beloved pups" Ryder said.
Charlotte didn't know what to say to Ryder. There was nothing she could do about that. "I wish there was something I could do about that, but I totally helpless" Charlotte said.
Ryder sighed and placed his head back on his paw again and closed his eyes. I really am never gonna see my pups again, I really am he thought.

 I really am never gonna see my pups again, I really am he thought

Word count: 1,112
Date of publication: February 10, 2022