Chapter 15. Journeying To The Swamp

After the VampireWolf had fell into the swamp, he had made his way to Foggy Bottom back to his master. During that time, the next day after Ryder's night adventure, Ryder and his friends went out searching for the VampireWolf because Ryder had figured out a way to kill the beast without tasting its toxic blood. Ryder tracked the VampireWolf's scent all the way to Foggy Bottom and then to Adventure Bay where he and his friends witnessed the chaotic event from a cliff. When the VampireWolf deployed the barrier of fire, Ryder was the one who took it out.
After taking out the fire, he ran away with his friends so he won't be seen.

•~•~•~•~•

Now Ryder and his friends were preparing for a journey to the swamp to find the gem that is capable of turning Ryder into a human again. "Ryder, your pups are amazing. It was so cool seeing them" Charlotte said.
"I'm glad Chase is being a great leader" Ryder said, "and I hope I find this gem so I can return to my pups." "I'm sure we will find it" Sarah said.
"Are we ready for this journey to the swamp?" Bruno asked.
"Totally, dude!" Butterscotch said. "Not so 'totally'. The swamp is infested with crocodiles" Scurry shuddered.
"Scurry, you can fly. Crocodiles can't. We're the ones who should be more worried than you" Charlotte said. "Oh yeah, right" Scurry laughed nervously.
"What are we waiting for? Let's get going" Ryder said.

Ryder and his friends started walking through the forest in the way of the swamp. As they walked, the forest was quiet and peaceful. It was still a little damp from the rain but it wasn't muddy.
On the way, when Butterscotch saw a sweet flower, he would hop off of Sarah's back and grab the flower. Then he could get back on and munch down his little snack.
The walk through the forest was nice. Ryder and his friends shared pleasant conversations and laughed together. But then the terrain started getting a little tough to penetrate. They came upon a wide river, too wide to jump across, so they had no other choice but to swim across. Fortunately for Scurry, he easily flew across while the others put effort into swimming.

When they got to the other side, their pelts were drenched, heavy and dripping. After shaking their fur which stayed damp, they continued walking through the forest that started getting more dense and steep. During a climb up a steep, slippery and rocky hill, Ryder almost slipped down but he grasped a very thin tree and hauled himself up.
His once glossy silver fur was now damp and dirty, which made him feel uncomfortable during the journey. As they continued their journey, they obviously started getting thirsty and hungry and tired.
When Ryder and his friends came across a stream, they stopped for a rest. After quenching their thirst, their stomachs were demanding to be filled with food. "Ryder, today you're gonna join us on the hunt" Charlotte said.
"What?" Ryder gasped, who was getting prepared rest. "I don't even know how to hunt."

"We're gonna teach you" Sarah said. "I don't think I'll master hunting in one hunting trip" said Ryder. "We're just starting you off" Bruno said.
"O-okay let's go" Ryder nervously said.

•~•~•~•~•

Sarah, Charlotte, Bruno and Ryder found a good hunting spot in the forest. While the predators did their hunting, Scurry snagged himself a trout from the stream while Butterscotch munched down some nectar rich flowers on the edge of the water.
"The first step to hunting to find the weak, the vulnerable, the old, and the ill" Charlotte began. "Let me handle this! I'm the expert hunter!" Bruno stepped up.
"Your the expert at everything, right Bruno?" Sarah asked, sitting down. "This time I can do it. I was just being arrogant and boasting about myself being able to kill the VampireWolf. But this time I'm not boasting because I am really the expert hunter" said Bruno. "Well, I'm glad you realized what you were doing" Sarah said.

Everyone shared a light laugh but then turned their focus onto hunting. "Charlotte already explained the first step to hunting" Bruno started.
"The second step is; getting in position." The black wolf crouched low, keeping his legs a little in and his keen yellow eyes focused on three rabbits ahead.
"Do what I do" Bruno said. "Okay" Ryder nervously walked in besides the black wolf. He crouched low, keeping his legs in, and his eyes steady on the rabbits ahead.
Bruno glanced over to see Ryder's position. "Ryder, your too low. Your stomach fur shouldn't brush the ground. And second, your legs are too in and stiff" Bruno pointed out the mistakes.

"When hunting, you need to stay relaxed and let your muscles loose." "Okay, expert hunter" Ryder said. Once Ryder corrected his crouch and loosened his muscles, Bruno moved onto the next step.
"Next, focus on your prey and wait for the right moment to strike an attack" Bruno said.
"How do you know when's the right moment?" Ryder asked.
"That's easy. When your prey isn't aware or alert or when their too busy eating or doing something, then you can strike a surprise attack" Bruno explained.
Ryder nodded and then focused his bright and electric blue eyes on the rabbits ahead.

"Go!" Bruno howled. Both wolf and wolf-dog broke cover and ran for the rabbits. All three rabbits scattered in a panic. Bruno had set target on a small rabbit while Ryder lost his target in the forest.
A rabbit ran past Ryder and he tried to catch it, only to trip on a stone and fall flat to the dusty ground.
"No, come back!" Ryder called after the rabbit.
"The rabbit won't come back" Bruno giggled.
He put down his catch and stared at Ryder with amused eyes.
"How did you catch that rabbit so easily?" Ryder asked. "I've been hunting since I was an adolescent but I started practicing when I was a puppy" Bruno explained. "Hunting it harder than I thought" Ryder said, standing up and shaking the dust from his fur.

"You'll get it soon, Ryder" Charlotte said. "It takes everyone a while to learn how to hunt." "But that was a good try" Sarah said.

•~•~•~•~•

Ryder practiced for a little more and in the end, he caught a rabbit. They all returned to the stream with their catches. After eating, Ryder and his friends dozed for some time on the soft grass in the quiet forest.

•~•~•~•~•

By the late evening, when the sun started to slowly descend from the sky, Ryder and his friends arrived on the cliff that overlooked the swamp. "Woah! This place is bigger than I thought" Ryder said.
"How are you gonna find one gem here? Is it the water or something?" Bruno asked.
"I wish my vision was a little more specific about that" Ryder said.
"This is gonna be one hard search." "I agree. Trying to find one gem in a wide swamp. That's like looking for a needle in a haystack" Sarah said.
"Maybe we just go home. You're never gonna find a gem here" Scurry said. "It's impossible" Butterscotch said. "Though it looks impossible, I'm gonna search for it and I will find it. If I really love my pups and I wanna be a human again, I will do anything" Ryder said, staring at the swamp.

"Okay, so you're really gonna search the entire swamp" Scurry said. "Yes I am" a light frown made it's way on Ryder's face. "When are you gonna start?" Charlotte asked. "The sun is setting now. So we'll start tomorrow" Ryder answered.
"We'll?" Scurry questioned.
"We're all gonna help Ryder look for that gem, including you Scurry" Sarah said. "I'll find that gem before Ryder does" Bruno boasted. "Oh please" Ryder chuckled and pushed Bruno slightly.
"Well, everybody, let's some rest because tomorrow is the start of a gem hunt" Charlotte said.

Word count: 1,347
Date of publication: February 12, 2022