one

The ringing of your phone quickly startled you awake. You sat up abruptly, trying to gain awareness of what was going on. You blindly grabbed for your phone not bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Hello?" You could immediately hear the loud music coming from the other end of the line, making you pull the phone away from your ear. "hey y/n/n I need a ride..." It was your little sister Scarlett calling.

"Dude what time is it?" You dug the heel of your hand into your eyes. "I knowwww I'm sorry but please? Me and my friends can't drive right now." Even though you were annoyed, you were glad she called you rather than getting behind the wheel.

"Okay okay, I'm coming. Where are you?" You questioned turning on the lamp that sat on your bedside table. "Tanneyhill." You threw your head back groaning at the name. "And since you're gonna ask, no I can't stay with Sarah she went to the chateau with John B."

You swiped your car keys from the table, stumbling over as you tried to put your shoes on. "Fine, be there soon." Without waiting for an answer you ended the call and drug yourself outside to the car.

Your family had known the Camerons since you were young, you and Rafe were in the same grade and so were Sarah and Scarlett. The two girls were best friends, you always liked Sarah she was sweet.

Rafe on the other hand made your blood boil. He was cocky, conceited, and an overall ass. You were in the same friend group with him which made him hard to avoid. You were close with Topper and Kelce, they were like your brothers. But where there was Topper and Kelce there was Rafe.

You had to park far down the street, since it was already lined with cars. You grabbed your phone to text your sister to tell her you were here. You were currently in shorts and a hoodie and you had no intention of going inside.

y/n
I'm here
hellooo
come out
im gonna kill u

With a loud huff and the slam of the car door you were heading towards Tanneyhill. You could hear the muted sounds of blaring music. Walking into the foyer you were met with multiple "oh my gosh haven't seen you in so long!" greetings from high school friends.

You spotted Kelce first and politely exited your current conversation. "Kelce!" You yelled causing him to look around before spotting you. His smile was enough to make you feel better about the situation.

"Hey y/n/n I'm so happy to see you!" You swayed back and forth in a hug, having not seen each other in a few months. "I know I missed you, breakfast tomorrow?" He pursed his lips in thought looking down at the drink in his hand.

"Maybe lunch." You laughed and nodded your head, "I'm surprised you came!" He gave you a questioning look. "Oh yeah I'm here to get Scar, bitch isn't answering her phone." Kelce laughed at your remark.

"Well I'll text you and Topper about tomorrow." Saying a quick goodbye you continued through the house making your way towards the kitchen. You spotted Scarlett laughing with her friends. As you started marching towards her, you suddenly bumped into someone's chest.

Their drink spilling all over the both of you. "Shit, I'm so sorr-" You stopped your apology once seeing the all too familiar face.

"Guess you gotta take it off?" Rafe smirked down at you, moving his hat backwards. You scoffed, wiping what you could off of the jacket, "in your dreams."

"Y/n!" Your sisters voice distracted you as she happily bounced over to you. "I texted you!" You yelled while confused features appeared on her face. Grabbing her phone out of her back pocket, she tapped the screen to see the charging symbol. "Shit sorry it's dead."

She looked at you with a sense of guilt on her face. "It's okay, let's just go." Rafe still stood between the two of you, shocked to see you in his house. "Wait you just got here and I ruined your hoodie."

"It's fine Rafe." You were growing more tired and your face showed it. "I'll make it up to you." He winked before sliding past you, purposely placing his hand on your hip as he did. The fire it set in your body not going unnoticed. You grabbed Scarlett's hand in yours and didn't let go until you were outside.

"I am sorry... didn't know it was gonna die." Scarlett spoke while looking down at her shoes. You threw your arm over her shoulder and kissed the side of her head. "I know, and you can always call me." You didn't mean to make her feel bad, but right away she threw her arm around you as well.

The ride to your house is fairly short, only living a few streets away. Your family did just as well as the Camerons, being in the same business. Your dad was also very close with Topper's dad, hence why you are really good friends.

Your family had an interesting dynamic. Your mom and dad have fought for as long as you could remember. But divorce wasn't an option because that would be social suicide here on figure eight.

So you continued to play the happy family role even though you were far from it. Both parents had their flaws but you loved them nonetheless.

You hugged your sister goodnight before falling back into your bed, feeling like it was eternity since you were woken up by the phone. You took off the stained hoodie, too tired to try and clean it now. Before falling asleep you felt your phone vibrate, picking it up thinking it would be Topper.

Rafe
sorry again y/l/n, hope to see you around

You found yourself overthinking the text as you laid there. You couldn't figure out why seeing him again was affecting you so much.

y/n
really it's fine dw

After shaking the thought away you texted the group chat with Kelce and Topper about lunch tomorrow. Then you happily put your phone down and shimmied back under the covers.

----

Back at Tanneyhill things were starting to slow down. Everyone trickled out of the house as Topper and Kelce stayed behind to help clean. "Oh Top, y/n/n wanted to do breakfast tomorrow but I told her lunch, good with you?"

Rafe tuned in at the mention of your name. "Yeah for sure." Topper nodded as he tied off the garbage bag in his hands. Topper and Kelce weren't dumb, they saw the way he looked at you.

But you always claimed to 'hate' him whenever they brought it up. Kelce chewed on the inside of his cheek as he thought over what he was about to do. "Wanna come man?" He turned to Rafe who was already looking in his direction.

"Uh yeah, I think I'm free." He responded nonchalantly earning a glare from the others. "I heard there was a spill." Topper joked, patting Rafe on the back. "Don't even get me started."

Rafe had always felt something for you ever since you were in elementary school. He always tried to shake it but he never really could.

It took him a long time to figure out what his feelings were at such a young age. You and Topper were attached at the hip growing up, and you had quite the crush on him at nine years old.

So when Rafe pushed you off the playground swing set and took the role of Topper's 'best' friend you resented him. This continued on through the years even though you realized you felt nothing for Topper, you held ill will towards Rafe.

Rafe started getting all of the girls attention in middle school, and boy did he love it. You had one serious relationship in high school that ended before college. He on the other hand had fling after fling. Which you absolutely hated, seeing him with a new girl each month.

Flash forward to now, Rafe has done a lot of growing up. He's not the guy he was in high school, and even then most of it was just a persona. He realized that he teased you and bickered with you all those years because if that was the only way to be near you, he would do it.

a/n: HI BESTIES FIRST CHAPTER I'm excited for this book and hope y'all love it, let me know what you think <3