twelve

Time was moving fast and it was finally the week before Midsummers. It was funny to think that you were dreading having to go with Rafe, but now you found yourself excited.

Neither of you acknowledged what happened in the water from the day on the boat. Rafe wanted to bring it up so badly, but he felt that you needed to be the one to determine if it's what you really wanted.

He knew what he wanted it to be for years now and since you were finally putting things together, he figured he can hold out a little longer. You guard was still up though, he hoped being your date at Midsummers would allow him to chip it away.

It had been a slow morning and you allowed yourself to stay in bed longer than normal. You strolled downstairs to find your mom running around the kitchen. You yawned and furrowed your brows together.

"Mom?" She whipped her head around at your voice and let out a sigh that sounded like relief. "Oh I'm glad you're up! The Camerons are coming over for dinner tonight and I need help." Your stomach filled with the nerves that seemed to always come up now at any mention of him.

"Why are they coming over?" You were happy either way but still curious. "Ward wanted to meet up before our families walk in together this weekend and I offered to host." She continued to rush around, moving from one side of the counter to the other.

"Didn't realize the house was such a mess." She grumbled while chopping vegetables. You let out a light laugh, considering the house was near spotless but she was a perfectionist. "I'll clean up you worry about cooking."

You walked next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder before placing a quick kiss on the side of her head. "Thank you sweetheart. Make Scarlett help." You laughed at the statement before heading to get what you needed.

You had vacuumed, dusted, and picked up anything that was out of place. You then joined your mom in the kitchen to clean the dishes as she cooked so there would be less work afterwards. You then parted ways to go and get ready.

You and Scarlett did your hair and makeup together and you realized how much you missed these moments. You were having a great time at college so far but you didn't realize how much you missed home until now, not only because of Scarlett but Rafe too.

"Hey Scar?" You started, looking at her through the mirror. "You know how you and Sarah think Rafe likes me?" She dropped the brush from her hands and her eyes immediately shot to yours. "We don't just think we know!" She all but yelled making you laugh.

"I think I am finally admitting I actually like him." Your sister laughed at your mortified face, "that's a good thing!" She swiveled around in her spot in order to face you. "But like what does that even mean?" Scarlett gave you a confused look encouraging you to continue.

"I mean, we're going to midsummers together yes but then what? Summer will end eventually and we don't go to the same school and I just-" She grabbed your hands in hers, stopping your ramble. "You don't have to have everything planned out y/n/n."

"That boy has been pining for you since quite literally forever. Just talk to him." You gave your sister a tight lipped smile while nodding. The two of you finished getting ready before going downstairs at the sound of the Camerons entering.

"So lovely of you to have us." Rose smiled while pulling your mom into a hug. Everyone said their hello's and eventually found their seats at the dining table. Sarah and Scarlett smirked at each other as they made sure you had to sit next to Rafe.

He could smell your sweet perfume and sitting this close to you was making his heart beat fast. You rubbed your hands down your dress, suddenly realizing your palms were clammy. The adults started going on about the boring matters.

You of course knew Ward since Scarlett was constantly at their house growing up, but you never spent much time around him until more recently. He was nothing but nice to you, but as time went by you realized how tough he could be.

Even just in this dinner conversation Rafe seemed on edge. Anytime something business related came up he seemed tense almost.

Your mom was now going on about the Veuve Cliquot champagne bottles they decided on for the party. Your dad turned his nose up at her in confusion. "You mean the Dom Pérignon?" He questioned.

Your moms face visibly dropped, "um no we decided to go with the other I thought." Thankfully Ward and Rose had started a conversation of their own and weren't really paying attention to your parents.

"No I specifically said-" He features twisted into anger. "Dad." You cut him off with a glare as the rest of the table awkwardly looked around. "Hm let me get these plates cleared!" Your mom suddenly popped out of her chair. "I'll help!" Rose followed.

Your dad cleared his throat and stood, motioning for you to follow him to the living room. Rafe gave you a weary glance and watched as you walked away. You bit the inside of your cheek as you followed your dad with arms crossed over your chest.

He turned around letting out a loud sigh, "why would embarrass me like that in front of the Camerons?" You almost laughed in his face, "Me? You're the one who should be embarrassed." He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Okay look I'm sorry just- you don't need to intervene. And don't back talk me." You slowly nodded your head, "I'm not the one you need to say sorry to." You spoke before brushing past him and walking out the backyard.

When your dad walked back in without you Rafe excused himself to the restroom. He walked down the hallway before spotting you sitting out on the porch swing by the water. He could see the worried features etched on your face.

"Hey." He spoke softly above you causing you to look up. "Oh hey." He pointed at the swing to ask if he could sit and you scooted over allowing him to. "I'm sorry that was embarrassing." You huffed out.

"What? No you have nothing to be sorry for. I just wanted to check on you." He playfully pushed his shoulders against yours, bringing a smile to your lips. "I'm good, just annoyed but I'll get over it." You lightly laughed looking out towards the water.

"You can talk about it, only if you want to." He tucked a piece of stray hair behind your ear, causing goosebumps to raise on your arms. "It's alright but thank you." You smiled, bringing your bottom lip between your teeth.

You felt like you were back in the water with both of you staring at each other, the occasional fleeting look towards the others lips. Something came over Rafe as he decided to take a shot in the dark, and lean closer towards you.

When you didn't try to retreat he raised his hand to rest on your jaw, his thumb lightly running across your cheek. "You look beautiful tonight." You looked down trying not to blush at his words.

Closing your eyes you quickly closed the gap between you, placing your lips on his. He held his breath, trying to make sure this was real. You felt him finally relax and kiss you back. You reached a hand up to the back of his neck pulling him closer.

He kept his hold on your face while moving the other to your hip, heat spreading through your body at the contact. As soon as you kissed him you knew, this is what it was supposed to feel like.

You both pulled away a bit breathless, smiles stretched on your faces. "I have wanted to do that since I was twelve." Rafe whispered causing you to giggle and pull his face back to yours. "Sorry it took me so long." You whispered.