nine

You took a few shots with Amelia and then said hello to some of the people who came. A lot of the people here weren't even your friends in high school but a kook party was a party so you couldn't blame them.

You looked across the living room and Rafes tall figure immediately caught your eye. He was already smiling at you as you raised your hand to wave. He returned the gesture and you slowly started making your way towards him.

Before you could even take five steps someone had stepped in front of you. "Happy birthday!" Theo yelled and it was apparent he was pretty drunk. You stammered for a minute before smiling.

"Hey Theo thank you!" He pulled you into a hug. Rafes shoulders dropped as he sucked on his teeth. Amelia walked up next to him taking a sip of her drink. "Why the fuck is he here?" She grumbled.

Rafe scoffed looking down at your best friend, "sounds like you're not his biggest fan." Amelia gave Rafe an 'are you serious' look before laughing. "If anything I'm the president of his hate club."

This put a smile on Rafes face, "where can I sign up to join?" Amelia smiled and patted his back. "Rafe can I ask you something?" She asked while turning to face him fully. He did the same, "uh yeah."

"Why haven't you ever just told her?" Rafe sucked in a breath before slowly releasing. "I don't know. I mean by the time I realized what I was feeling she already hated me and then later on Theo showed up. There was never the right time." He gave her a tight lipped smile, hating how serious this conversation was getting.

Amelia nodded, biting the inside of her cheek as she thought. "There's no right time Rafe, there's just time and what you decide to do with it." She shrugged as Rafe studied her. "That was some philosophical shit Mel." Laughs escaped both of their mouths.

"Well it's true so do with that what you will!" She yelled while waving her hand and walking off to other people. Rafe shook his head chuckling, looking back to find that you had disappeared again.

Theo told you he had a gift but wanted to go somewhere quieter. You didn't think anything of it because truthfully the music was very loud. You told him you could go up to Topper's room, this was basically your second home.

You stepped through the door and spun around to face Theo. Who quickly lurched forward and kissed you. Your eyes widened but you made no move, you stayed frozen in your spot. This is what you had wanted right? You missed Theo, but kissing him right now you realized you felt absolutely nothing.

You abruptly pulled back placing your hands on his chest. "Theo I- what are you doing?" His lips were slightly parted and his eyes looked dazed. "I told you y/n I missed you." He grabbed onto your wrists starting to lean back in.

You pulled your head back even farther. "I know but- I'm just confused." Everything was happening so quickly and you were scared that Rafe was the person who was popping into your thoughts. "Didn't you miss me?" He smirks.

"Of course I did, but you're drunk and-" Without letting you finish he pulls you back into him and kisses you hungrily. You still felt absolutely nothing and all you wanted to do was go and find your friends.

"Theo" You spoke out breathlessly but he wasn't budging. As you tried to pull away he only gripped your wrists harder. "Stop." You whispered out feeling trapped. "Please stop I-"

"What the fuck?" You heard a voice from the doorway and before you could even look over Theo was being snatched away. Rafe shoved him into the wall, "the fuck are you doing Anderson she said stop."

In his drunken state Theo only laughed, clearly not at all sorry. "Of course, Rafe Cameron! I should've known." He lolled his head towards you and your eyebrows knit together as you hugged yourself, "what does that mean?"

"Oh come on y/n/n you two clearly having something going on... my guess is you're fucking." Your stomach dropped at his words, when had he become so cruel. Was he always this way and you never saw it? "Probably fucked him on prom night too, well don't worry I kept myself busy." Your eyebrows raised as you put the pieces together in your mind.

Rafe shoved him back against the wall, struggling to hold in his anger. "I suggest you get the fuck out before I kill you." Rafe glared down at him with narrowed eyes. Theo lifted his arms up to show surrender, causing Rafe to slowly step back.

You were suddenly filled with rage and your feet were moving towards the pair. You swiftly raised your hand up and slapped Theo's cheek, causing him to stumble over. Before he even had the chance to respond Rafe shoved him into the hallway, closing and locking the door.

He yelled some profanities before finally giving up and going downstairs. You stood still with your gaze fixed on the floor. You didn't want to cry, you didn't want him to have that power over you.

But as soon as Rafe's arms were wrapped around you, the tears fell. "Are you okay?" He whispered, running his hand through your hair. You clung onto him like you were afraid he would let go.

"I can't believe that just happened." You spoke still feeling the shock. "He's an ass and you deserve better anyways." Better like me, Rafe wanted to add. He held you until your breathing evened out and you pulled away first.

"I'm sorry you got dragged into that." You did your best to smile. "Don't apologize. I'm glad I was here." He moved some stray hairs behind your shoulder, raising goosebumps on your neck. "Me too... can't believe we got cheated on." You snickered trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah what the fuck." Rafe smiled making yours grow. Standing here now you couldn't believe you ever claimed to hate him. He had been nothing but nice to you ever since you've been back. You slightly tilted your head up at him.

There was a comfortable silence as he stared down at you. Your eyes were slightly puffy from the shed tears, and your cheeks a light shade of pink. He would be somewhat lying if he said he was upset about what just happened. Of course he hated seeing you hurt, especially by someone you actually loved.

But he was happy that your douchebag ex showed you his true colors. He thought about what Amelia said about timing but right now was definitely not the time to have the conversation he wanted. "Come on, it's your birthday you should be celebrating." You took a deep breath and nodded, wiping under your eyes one last time. "You're right. Let's go." Rafe held his arm out for you and you laughed while hooking yours around his.