eight

"So we're getting plastered tonight right?" Amelia asked with a smirk on her face. You playfully rolled your eyes while popping a grape into your mouth.

"Do you really doubt me Mel?" Topper clutched his chest acting hurt, causing everyone to laugh. "Party at my place tonight!"

Topper smiled wide as you thanked him profusely. "Guys you really didn't have to do all this." You gestured around the beautiful set up.

"Well we did so get over it!" Kelce nudged your arm with a smile. "Okay we're taking her away to get ready!" Scarlett stood up while dusting the sand off of her legs. 

You hadn't realized Rafe had brought your sister and you felt that nervousness you had been growing used to. Something about being around him has your heart and mind confused.

"I'm coming to yours to get ready!" Amelia yelled while wrapping up the blanket. "Perfect!" You shouted before closing the passenger door to Rafe's truck.

He had one hand on the top of the steering wheel and the other resting out of the window. His toned arms on perfect display and his hair a bit tousled from the wind. What was happening to you?

Rafe could feel his eyes on you and it took a lot of strength not to look right back. He was starting to believe Sarah, maybe you did have the same feelings.

"Thanks Rafe, I'll see you at Topper's?" You smiled while pushing open the car door. "Wouldn't miss it." You blushed and quickly exited before you embarrassed yourself further.

He smiled while watching you and your sister walk into your house as Sarah crawled her way into the front seat. "Simp." She teased earning a glare from her brother, "shut the hell up." He grumbled while pulling out.

Amelia arrived shortly after with a large bag full of makeup and clothes. You laughed as she struggled up the stairs, resulting in her flipping you off. She got right to work doing your makeup and it felt as if you hadn't even spent a year apart.

Your eyes were closed as she delicately applied your eyeshadow. You heard the music suddenly pause so you slightly opened one eye in confusion. Amelia was staring down at you with one eyebrow raised.

"Am I in trouble?" You joked, wondering what was going through her head. "How long have you liked Rafe Cameron?" You stomach plummeted down as your lips parted in shock. "W-what are you talking about?"

"I'm your best friend, I saw how you looked at him today." You visibly gulped, extremely thrown off by her words. "I don't like Rafe Cameron." You shrugged, trying to convince yourself more than her.

She scoffed shaking her head. "It's okay if you do you know!" She set down the pallet and brush before looking back to you. "y/n/n, I know you. You're scared to let people in, especially after Theo. I get it." You pulled your bottom lip in between your teeth.

"But there's always been something between the two of you and I'm tired of letting you pretend there isn't." She pressed her lips into a straight line, scolding you like a mother. "We don't like each other, that's the only thing between us."

Amelia picked up one of the makeup brushes and threw it at you, hitting you right in the chest. "Hey!" You laughed after trying to dodge it. "For someone so smart, you're stupid." She mumbled while continuing your eyeshadow.

She knew she wasn't going to get more out of you at this moment so she decided she'll just try again later. Once she finished your makeup you curled your hair in loose waves. You had bought a few dresses for tonight so you tried them on for Amelia and Scarlett to help decide on the best one.

"You look AMAZING." Scarlett raved as you did a twirl in the chosen dress. "Alright party people let's get going!" Amelia stood up promptly. You grabbed your bag with a change on clothes incase you stay the night.

You had no idea who Topper had invited, but by the amount of cars on the street, you figured a lot. You took a deep breath in before opening the front door. You were immediately met with a scream of birthday wishes.

Topper and Kelce came rushing to your side pulling you into a hug. "Happy birthday y/n/n!" They screamed and handed you a drink. "Top oh my gosh this is amazing... where's your parents?"

"They're staying on the mainland for the night. As soon as I mentioned your birthday they agreed, I swear they like you more than me." He rolled his eyes but smiled. Sarah and the pogues came up next, doing the same.

Sarah had pulled your sister into conversation so you took the chance to pull jj to the side. His eyes widened as his eyebrows knit together. "You like my sister?" You narrowed your eyes at him.

He opened and closed his mouth stuttering, "y-yeah I do." Your lips raised into a large smile, "be nice." You patted his shoulder and he raised his arm in a mock salute, "yes mam!" You laughed pulling him back to the rest of the group, Scarlett eyeing you wearily.

"Well come on birthday girl it's shot time!" Amelia jumped up and down pulling you into the kitchen. You smiled and rolled your eyes and she grabbed your hand. You hadn't seen Rafe yet and you found yourself disappointed.