fifteen

You swiped on another coat of lip gloss, looking yourself over once more before exiting the bathroom. Right as you looked up past the door you were met with Theo walking out of the men's room.

His face immediately softened upon seeing you while yours became rigid. "y/n... About your birthday, I was a dick." You crossed your arms over your chest, "yeah you were." He nodded before looking down to his feet.

"Everything okay over here?" You looked to your left to see Amelia walking towards you with a fake smile plastered on her face. "Theo." She acknowledged him with a frown to which he gave an awkward wave. "Uh see y'all around."

"Hope not!" Amelia yelled as he walked down the hallway, making you laugh. "You okay?" She rested her hands on your arms, lightly rubbing her thumb up and down. "Yeah" You started with a scoff, "didn't even say the words 'I'm sorry'"

"He has like two brain cells, come on." She shrugged her shoulders before pulling you back out towards the party. Rafe watched as you walked back over to the group, you were holding hands with Amelia and laughing.

The strung up fairly lights illuminated your eyes as the light breeze blew your hair back, giving him a perfect view of your face. He felt so lucky in this moment, he could only hope it would never end.

The rest of Midsummers went smooth, and you were happy to see the outcome after months of planning. You danced with Rafe, your best friends, and your little sister. You and Topper were standing at one the tables, tipsy from the champagne.

"I still can't believe it." Topper laughed looking at you. You titled your head and furrowed your brows, "can't believe what?" He took another sip before talking. "That my best friends, you and your arch nemesis, are dating."

You smiled and shook your head. "Well he hasn't asked me officially to be his girlfriend yet." Topper scoffed throwing his head back, "he will, don't you worry." You nodded and looked around the venue, smiling once seeing Amelia and Kelce dancing together.

"I can't believe we're in college Top." It feels like just yesterday you were back at Kildare academy, where the only problem you had was worrying about your plans for the weekend.

Topper hummed in agreement, looking out into the crowd with you. "Remember Midsummers when we were in like fourth grade?" You immediately covered your face with your hand in embarrassment.

"Like you'd ever let me forget." You grumbled giving him a glare. You were still very much in love with Topper then and practically chased him around trying to dance with him. Your parents watched from afar, they were convinced you'd date when you were older.

You finally caught up to him and grabbed onto his little suit jacket, planting a kiss on his lips. To which he immediately pulled away and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. Topper was doubled over in laughter as he recalled the events.

"God y/n/n you really were in love with him." You heard Rafe speak while coming up to the table and standing next to you. You swatted at his chest, "shut up!" Topper wiped under his eyes, tears forming from the laughter.

As the night came to a close everyone slowly trickled out of the island club. Your sister came up to you with a big smile on her face. "Sarah's going to the chateau to hang out with John b and the pogues can I go?"

You looked at her suspiciously, "why are you asking me and not mom or dad?" She clasped her hands together and placed them under her chin, "they have to stay and clean up a bit and said I could go if you take me."

"Scar I would but I've had champagne and-" Rafe gently placed his hand on your back, "I haven't had a drink in a while, I can drive." You looked up at him and smiled and Scarlett silently celebrated.

"Thank you thank you!" She skipped off to tell her best friend. "You can come to mine after?" He lazily smiled down at you as you nodded. Rafe rushed around to open both your door and Scarlett's before going around to get in the driver's seat.

"So... jj?" You turned around in your seat to face the back. Your sister groaned, "dude shut up already." Rafe looked at her through the rear view mirror. "What's this about jj?" He asked with a small smirk on his face.

"Oh my god nothing! I would've found another ride if I knew you'd play mom and dad." You laughed as Rafe moved his hand to rest on top of your thigh.

"Just call me if you need a ride back ok?" You lectured Scarlett as she opened her door. "Be safe and tell my idiot sister to do the same!" Rafe yelled out the last part as your sister slammed the door shut.

"Kids." Rafe jokingly rolled his eyes causing you to giggle. The ride back to Tanneyhill was quiet but comfortable as you were both exhausted from the night. You absentmindedly fiddled with the new ring on your finger, making Rafe smile.

"I'm glad you like it." He squeezed your hand pulling you out of your thoughts. "Are you kidding? I love it." He pulled your hand towards himself and placed a kiss on your knuckles.

"I was so mad at myself once we left for school. You know, cause I never actually told you how I feel." You slightly pouted your lip while admiring his side profile and he drove down the dim streets.

"I always wondered what if. What if I told you at graduation or that going away party, where would we be now?" He looked over at you before placing his eyes back on the road.

"The butterfly effect." You smiled, running your hand through his hair. A smile broke out on his face and he parked the car in the driveway. "Exactly." You leaned over the console and kissed him, and you also wondered what life would be like if you'd realized that you were in love with Rafe Cameron earlier.