nineteen

"Hey careful with that one!" You yelled as Scarlett carried a box out of your room. "Oh my god chill!" She yelled while disappearing down the hallway. You were packing up to go back to school.

Thankfully it was mainly just clothes and toiletries but it still had you feeling stressed. You smiled while leaning on the doorframe of your bathroom. Rafe was carefully placing your skincare products into a travel bag.

He had his bottom lip between his teeth, looking over each label to make sure he got everything. You knelt behind him and wrapped your arms around him, placing your chin in the crook of his neck.

"Where's that one face mask you love?" You giggled at his seriousness, standing up to open the cabinets. After you finished packing mostly everything up you fell backwards on the bed, pulling Rafe down with you.

You clung to him like a koala which made him laugh. "And to think at the beginning of summer you hated my guts." He spoke in a dramatic tone. "What can I say? I fell for that Rafe Cameron charm everyones been talking about."

"Fucking finally." You let out a lough laugh, throwing your head back. "Don't wanna go." You mumbled into his shirt, clinging onto the fabric. "I know, but don't worry I'm coming to see you as much as I can."

You smiled at the sentiment, knowing that he would stay true to his word. "I don't think your dads gonna like that." You nervously confessed. Ward didn't have anything against you, but he didn't want Rafe to be 'distracted'.

He practically read your mind as he responded. "You've been distracting me since we were ten, the only difference is you actually let me now." He smiled into your hair before placing a kiss on the crown of your head.

"And I'll come to visit you. Then I can see Top and Kelce too." You felt him nodding his head and he ran his hand up and down your back. "See? Piece of cake baby." You were involved in a few clubs so you needed to go back a few days earlier than everyone else, wanting to get everything in order for the new semester.

After relaxing for a bit, you and Rafe drove over to Topper's house to meet up with him, Kelce, and Amelia. You were all having one last night together with wine and pizza. As you sat snuggled up on the couch, you couldn't stop smiling.

Yes you were all getting older and so many things were changing. Not this though, your friendships and now relationship felt stronger than they ever had. You felt incredibly lucky to have people that made goodbyes so hard.

"So I've gotta ask." Topper started, leaning forward and placing his wine glass down on the table. "Kelce, Mel. The fuck is going on?" Everyone burst out laughing. You had been curious too, Amelia was never a big relationship girl.

You could tell Kelce made her really happy though. "Well, we're not too sure but we're gonna see where this goes." She smiled while leaning into his side. "Topper we are getting you a girlfriend this semester." Rafe laughed earning a glare from Top.

"Hey I'm just a bachelor living his best life right now okay?" He defended himself, but silently you were making it your mission to find him someone. He was your first and forever best friend and he deserved someone like Rafe, just in girl form.

Rafe had his arm draped over the couch behind you. You looked up at him and smiled, to which he placed a kiss on your lips. "I have a gift for you and I can't hold it in any longer." You squeaked out.

He gave you an amused look before sitting up straighter. "Alright let's see it baby." You reached down into your tote and pulled out the small gift bag, happily placing it in his hands. He eyed you up and down before opening it.

He swore his soul left his body when he opened the small box. It was a gold signet ring, similar to the one he already had, but this one was special. It had the outline of a butterfly engrained on it. And both of your initials on the inside of the band.

He looked up at you and fell in love all over again. "Now we match." You smiled giddily and rocked back and forth. "It's... wow this is perfect." He slipped it onto his finger and immediately wrapped him arms around you, swaying you back and forth.

"I love you." He whispered into your ear. You felt your cheeks heating up as you pulled him in tighter. "I love you too." He kept glancing at his ring the rest of the night, feeling so elated about how this summer had turned out.

You stood in your driveway the next morning, the car all packed and ready to go. You pouted your lip and scrunched your nose up, leaning back onto your car. Rafe used his thumb to smooth out the crease in your forehead, a large smile present on his face.

"Well, only three years of this distance huh?" You shrugged, trying to make it sound better in your head. "I would wait forever for you." Your face immediately fell and your heart swelled in your chest.

You threw your arms around him and took in his scent, knowing how much you would miss the familiarity. He memorized how your body felt against his, and loved how you two fit together like pieces of a puzzle.

"I'll text you when I make it." You sniffed, trying to keep your tears in at least until you pulled out of the driveway. He nodded as he opened the door for you. "Drive safe sweetheart." You sat inside and buckled yourself in.

You reached your hand out to touch his cheek and he melted into you. "I love you, so much." He shook his head with a smirk, "more than you'll ever know." You laughed and sighed as he stepped back, shoving his hands into his pocket.

You kept your eyes on his as much as you could while backing out, and he stared right back. You gave him one small final wave and he did the same. Watching until your car was out of view from your street.

You sniffled and let a few tears fall but was quickly distracted when your phone rang over bluetooth. You saw Rafe's contact name and smiled while clicking the green button. "Miss me already?" You joked.

"Oh I'm a mess." He tried to be funny but he truly had a tear falling down his cheek. "But uh I've already decided I'm coming to visit this weekend okay?" It was a question but he was posing it more as a statement.

You couldn't help but laugh, "See you then pretty boy." He rubbed the back of his neck, smiling at nothing but your voice. "I'll be counting the damn minutes." You bit your lip, smiling ear to ear at his words.

Rafe Cameron has been in love with you since he knew what love was. No matter how many times he wished he would've said something, he wouldn't change anything. Because then he wouldn't have this moment with you. Right now he was the happiest he's ever been, finally getting to call his dream girl his.

You would've never thought you'd be friends with Rafe let alone be completely in love with him, but here you were. No matter what has happened in the past you knew this was meant to happen the way it did.

There was so much life ahead of you to live, and you were both delighted to do it side by side.