thirteen

Rafe went home that night on cloud nine, smiling until sleep finally fell over him. You felt like a giddy middle schooler with a crush.

The awkward event that happened earlier in the night completely gone from your mind. You sat on the edge of your bed laughing to yourself.

If you told any other age y/n she kissed Rafe, she would dramatically fake gag. Yet here you are now completely smitten with the oldest Cameron sibling, whom you once saw as nothing more than an annoyance.

The next few days flew by as you spent most of your time hanging out on the beach with your friends. It was finally time for Midsummers and you were sat at your vanity curling your hair into light waves.

You added just a little bit of light blue shadow and eye liner, the color perfectly matching your dress. Once fully satisfied with your look you grabbed your purse before your family all left for Tanneyhill.

Your sister wore a pastel pink slip dress and you nearly cried at how grown up she looked. This of course was followed with a 'shut up you're like barely three years older'. You helped to place the small white flower crown on each others head, making sure your hair didn't get too messed up.

Rafe stood in front of the mirror, checking that his bow tie looked symmetrical. He felt in his pocket making sure his present was there for the fifteenth time.

He had bought you a gift at the end of high school, intending to consider a graduation gift. He never confessed his feelings that summer though so the box stayed tucked away.

He thought about giving it to you for your birthday but it still didn't feel right. Tonight would be the perfect opportunity, especially after the kiss just the other night.

You and your family walked into the foyer, greeted by an overexcited Rose. She was immediately trying to pull you all outside for pictures. You looked around, easily spotting Sarah and Wheezie but no Rafe.

"Oh my lord where is Rafe." Rose placed her hands on her hips in frustration. "I can go get him." You offered a quick smile before immediately heading for the stairs.

You lifted your dress with one hand while holding onto the railing with the other. You hadn't been in Rafe's room in probably a solid six years and you found your curiosity growing. Wondering if it still looked the same or not.

You quietly knocked on the cracked open door, "Rafe? It's me." You slowly opened it just as he rushed towards it. "Y/n hey." A light shade of pink dusted over his cheeks as you smiled.

He swore his heart fell out right there at the sight of you. The matching blue dress bringing out your best features, that same perfume that made him weak in the knees, and your smile that could brighten his worst days.

"You look- uh wow you look beautiful." You messed with the bracelets on your wrist suddenly nervous under his gaze. "Thank you. You look really handsome."

You walked closer and wrapped your arms around his shoulders, he still towered over you but your heels helped some. You put your lips to his, not wanting to waste anymore time.

You both sighed into the kiss like you were relieved to finally have each other so close. He delicately placed his hands around your waist, his fingers squeezing you just slightly.

"As much as I like this I'm supposed to bring you down for pictures." You pulled away giggling. He looked down at your in adoration before his face twisted more serious. "Wait I want to give you something."

He led you towards his bed and sat you down before doing the same. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the small box, immediately your eyes widened.

"Rafe this seems a bit fast no?" You half joking yet half nervously laughed. His mouth instantly shaped into a 'o' as he realized what it looked like. "Oh my god no I- I'm not asking you to marry me." He laughed as you joined in.

"Well... yet." He winked with a cheeky grin on his face. "Alright casanova what is it?" You scooted closer towards him. He chuckled before opening the box, keeping his eyes on your face.

Your jaw immediately hung open and your eyebrows knit together. You looked at him quickly before looking back down to the ring. "Rafe that's... it's amazing."

It was a gold ring with diamond butterflies all around the band. "Thats too nice Rafe I can't possibly take this." You looked at him concerned, no matter how wealthy he was this was surprising.

"No no y/n it's for you, I want you to have it." He gently handed you the ring and you slipped it on while gasping at how pretty it was. "W- why? What?" You looked up at him laughing, completely baffled.

"Well if you want the truth," He started, reaching his hand up to lightly touch your hair. "I got this for you when we were seventeen." Your eyes widened and there was now a lump in your throat.

"You... you've really felt this way about me that long?" You suddenly felt horrible, you always thought the teasing and 'hatred' was mutual. "Well it took a while to figure out but uh basically."

He pulled your face to his, already needing your lips back on his. You loved the way your lips molded together so perfectly and you smiled into the kiss. "Thank you Rafe really this is, I'm speechless."

His shoulders lightly bounced up and down with laughter. "Well that doesn't happen to often so I'll take it." He joked. "Yeah well what can I say you make me nervous." You shrugged your shoulders laughing.

You wrapped a hand around his neck kissing him once more. "YES!" You heard a scream from the hallway and instantly jumped back startled. Sarah stood in the doorway with wide eyes and raised arms.

"Oh sorry... but really Rose will kick your asses if you don't come take pictures." She smiled widely before retreating back down the stairs. Rafe couldn't even be mad at his sister, her push gave him the confidence to make this happen.

"Alright sweet girl ready to go?" Your stomach fluttered at the name. "Let's do it." You happily held his hand in yours, excited to take pictures with your new ring on and more importantly with your boy.