8th grade dance blurb

Junior high was the time when Rafe really started putting the pieces together.

He knew what he was feeling, that he liked you. As they would've said when they were younger, he like liked you.

Everyone was going through puberty at this time which meant lots and lots of hormone changes. Cooties were a thing of the past, and constant rumors started flowing about who liked who.

When Rafe found himself noticing little changes about you, he knew what it meant.

'Has her hair always looked like that?'
'I never noticed how pretty her eyes were'
'Her laugh makes my heart feel warm'

Yep, he had a crush. Not only did you not like him at this point, you were still lovesick over Topper.

"Are you taking y/n to the dance?" Rafe asked Topper who sat across the table in the cafeteria. Topper shrugged and shoved chips into his mouth.

"I dunno, our moms will probably make us." He grumbled and rolled his eyes. He was of course oblivious to your attraction and saw you as his best friend. Nothing more and nothing less.

"I wanted to take Amelia but I think Kelce beat me to it." Funny how things worked out for the two of them after all. Rafe ended up taking Emma, the girl who would be his prom date years later, inadvertently forcing you and him together.

You and Amelia got ready together, singing your hearts out while applying makeup the best you could. Of course now you thought the dress you wore was horrendous, but at thirteen, all of the glitter was something out of a dream.

Your mom drove the both of you to the school, and you nervously walked in side by side. It was a classic scene, girls on one side and boys on the other. Both trying to work up the courage to mix.

You found your group of friends and stuck with them for a while. They had quickly gotten antsy and wanted to see the boys so you reluctantly followed. "Hey y/n/n!" Topper smiled with his arms out.

You embraced him in a hug, not noticing Rafe's eyes on you. "You look nice." Top complimented causing a faint blush to rise on your cheeks. "Wanna dance?" He asked, bowing slightly and goofily holding his arm out.

You smiled and accepted, walking towards the center of the gym. "Let's dance too Rafe!" Emma spoke, snapping his from his thoughts. He let her drag his arm, and they stood just a few feet from you.

As more kids got up, the dance floor was getting tight. Forcing Rafe and Emma closer to you and Topper. Your backs brushed against each other and he could smell your shampoo. You were dangerously close to him but you weren't with him.

He wasn't really sure why he did it, maybe so you would just look at him for once. Next thing he knew the gum in his mouth was gone and you turned around with a gasp. "Ew Rafe!" You squealed seeing the wad of pink bubblegum caught in your hair.

"Oops." He deadpanned while shrugging his shoulders. You looked at him furiously but all he could notice was how pretty your eyes looked under these lights.

You squinted your eyes and clenched your jaw. You swiftly turned around and ran to the bathroom. Your friends gave Rafe a dirty look before following.

"What a jerk!" Amelia scoffed, examining your hair and determining the best move. "Don't they say peanut butter works?" She asked looking up at you through the mirror.

You had tears in your eyes, "why would he do that!" You yelled. "Because it's Rafe." She hugged you earnestly.

"y/n?" Topper opened the door. "DUDE! girls bathroom!" Amelia yelled. "Oh shit- I mean-" Topper fumbled over his words as he covered his eyes and walked back out.

You and Amelia died laughing, clutching your stomach it hurt so bad. "Well we already took our pictures and you got to dance with Topper so why don't we go home, get this gum out, and have a sleepover?"

Amelia always knew how to make you feel better. You happily nodded while texting your mom. You both started walking back to the dance to say goodbye when you noticed Rafe in the hallway.

"Go ahead Mel I'lll be there in a sec." She raised her eyebrow at you before reluctantly leaving. "If I have to cut my hair I'm gonna kill you." You grabbed the ends of your hair to show him the mess he made.

He opened and closed his mouth, trying to speak. You furrowed your eyebrows at the lack of his quick comeback. Sure it was annoying but it was kind of y'alls thing. And for the first time, Rafe Cameron apologized.

"I looked it up and uh, peanut butter or oil can get it out, also toothpaste." You nodded slowly, unsure of what to say. "M'sorry y/n, you look really pretty tonight." Your eyes widened slightly.

Before you could get a chance to respond Rafe was walking back towards the dance. Your phone vibrated making you jump, your mom had arrived. You quickly ran back in to say goodbye to your friends and Topper.

Once in the car Amelia started ranting about what had happened with the gum and your mom listened intently. Of course though, she had a mom feeling that Rafe liked you.

The gum would become a lasting story for the both of you, first out of anger, but overtime it became a fond memory. It was the first time Rafe didn't have a comeback, and he actually apologized, leaving you speechless.

Thankfully you only lost a few strands of hair by the time it was done. But you were no angel either, you'd messed with him a time or two. You'd end up getting your revenge, and the cycle began again. Looking back you wouldn't change the mishap for anything.

Rafe has what his thirteen year old self would've never thought. He got to kiss you, date you, love you, and now live with you. Rafe would happily put gum in your hair again if he knew it would end the way it did.

a/n: hiiii I've seen some comments of people just now finding this book, or rereading it and it made me miss butterfly effect Rafe sm🥹🥹 I hope y'all like it!