Chapter 2

The ring swapping was smooth. No drama, no gun drawing, no bloodshed. After my Nonno made a speech about the connection between New York and Las Vegas, we retreated to the dining room.

Forks and knives clinked. Chatter echoed mostly from the young, because the atmosphere was incredibly tense between the two sides - it was ironic how we were keeping a promise made years ago yet they still didn't trust each other.

At least the ring was beautiful. Very costly but it was expected from the Capones to spare no expense. It was a white gold ring on which sat a small diamond, which was freshly cut and gleamed in the light with every movement. It was pretty, but wasn't the right fit. Every time I spread my fingers it would try to spin.

I would tell them but they already know, and don't care.

Being expected to sit next to Elmo, I did. I had my crackhead brother Carlos on my other side, Luciano right across and their cousin diagonal from me, who was hilarious, it was a shock to me he was even related to Luciano.

I sipped my water, a laugh forcing its way out of me as he made a joke that wasn't even supposed to be funny.

Nonno shot a glare at me. Mama shook her head, their reactions making me snap my jaw shut. I couldn't help that I got carried away. At least I had people opening up to me, unlike Luciano.

That man looked at me every time I spoke a little too loud like it was an inconvenience. I just wanted to get to know my in-laws, but honestly didn't care if I didn't get to know Luciano at all. All he'd shown me today was dislike.

"You gonna eat air?" My brother suddenly asked, nodding towards my empty plate. Luciano was now looking at me, and the way someone looks at a drunk fool on the street.

"I'm fine with my drink."

My brother's stare asked me if I was being serious, and I rolled my eyes before grabbing my plate and heading towards the kitchen area. Once my eyes laid on the burgers, I licked my lips.

I hadn't eaten all day. Mama had her salon lady come over to wax every inch of my body, as if the wedding night was today.

Standing at the counter away from prying eyes, my teeth sank into the burger. A mmm sound escaped me and I chomped it down like a savage.

My mind was lost into the pleasure of eating, but not enough to ignore a gaze biting at my back. I stilled, each slow footstep approaching me making my back tickle. A tall and built body stopped next to me, not acknowledging my existence.

When Luciano picked up a chicken piece I continued scoffing down my burger. His stare moved onto my face. It was condescending, and was a look one would give seeing gum stuck to the bottom of their shoe.

Growing agitated I finally faced him. "What?" I asked, putting my hand on my hip. "Does my eating disgust you?"

Shaking his head with disbelief, he filled his plate. "No flirting now?"

I held my hand out and showed him the ring on my finger. "I'm a loyal woman."

Ironic, because loyal is the last thing my future husband would be.

His eyes flickered to my ring and then met with mine with disinterest. "I can see how far your loyalty goes while engaged with my brother."

Che palle. This was the second time he insinuated infidelity. "What are you assuming Capo?"

My jaw ticked as I waited for an answer - watched dark eyes fill with amusement at my irritation. "I want to know you won't cause embarrassment to me and my family."