Chapter 3

~Luca POV~

The first time I saw Nina Vitielli, it was 4 years ago.

I was 25, and well into my position of being the Capo. She'd been promised to me since the beginning, in a contract made by my father when we were kids.

She was 18, slimmer and an even louder voice back then. I remember her hair was short and around her shoulders compared to how long it was now.

She had the same vibrance in her voice, the same dimples but she'd grown a lot over the past few years. Grew hips - turned into a woman. An irritating woman, and with the rudest mouth I'd probably ever see in a girl in this criminal world.

A laugh left her mouth at something my cousin, Salvatore said to her. The bastard was an idiot, and she was fucking annoying. They could have been perfect together, causing headaches one day at a time. It was a good thing I turned her down, Elmo could have fun dealing with that.

I checked my watch, realising there was another half hour left of this dinner. Everyone had scrambled after eating.

Fiero Vitielli was still at the table with my father. His prepubescent grandkid was glaring at Elmo, who was around Nina with the rest of the men. They were entertaining her with their jokes like she was the fucking queen.

Unlike me they couldn't see her for the flirt she was, or maybe they did but were too horny to care. Capones.

City lights twinkled, the weather grew chilly and a breeze blew over my skin as I stood by the railings. I had to discuss some business with Ric, the Vitielli's bodyguard.

Since my father didn't give a damn about it, I needed to make sure Elmo's little fiancée was kept safe in case anyone thought about pulling a revenge stunt.

It was surprising how many pests wanted that rude ass diva. They would take the upcoming wedding as a personal insult and wouldn't think twice about cutting her head off. The contract had been kept quiet because of that reason, but now word was spreading around.

"Win my ass, princess." Elmo gritted, his voice loud enough for me to look at what he was doing. Nina was standing in front of him with a scowl, before she slipped her hand in her dress and pulled something out of of her bra - cash.

His sober expression turned into one like he'd won the lottery, his face lighting up as she handed it to him before he stuffed it in his pocket. What a fucking flirt, I'd wonder where her Nonno was when she was doing this shit but that bastard was about to drop dead any second now.

My sight only remained on her for a while before our gazes met, hers soft yet confused. She really didn't know what I was looking at. Fuck.

As if she wasn't pleased with my presence her expression dulled, lips parting slightly. She looked away, and there was a shift in her demeanour before she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and faced her brother.

She was free with every other man in here.

It looked like she only had a problem with me.

~Nina POV~

I'd been getting to know my future in-laws even more today, but was starting to wonder where my brother Carlos had disappeared to. I last saw him exchange a few words with Elmo, which couldn't be good.

Aside from me he was the least happiest about this marriage. Even though I told him not to, he still shot daggers at Elmo during this dinner knowing damn well he could beat the shit out of him. That was Carlos, too brave for his own good.

When I walked into the bathroom, a grimace grew on my face instantly smelling weed. I couldn't believe him. Carlos faced the mirror and was on his phone, only giving me a careless glance. I thought I took his stash from him in the car but I was wrong.