Chapter 28

6 years ago...

"Will you come shopping with me?"

A ray of sunshine shot through the front window, making Emberto squint as he spoke. "Do I look like one of your chick friends?"

"No, but you can eat at that pancake place you love."

My brother lowered his brows at me. It was always funny to me how much he loved pancakes, considering he was infamous for cutting our cousins tongue off. His eyes were made of steel and gunpowder, and could sting - except when he looked at me.

I took in a deep breath, basking in the fumes of the traffic. New York in summer smelled like concrete and petrol, but I'd take it. I loved riding in this car.

Emberto knew how much me and Adriana liked convertibles so he bought one to take us around. He screwed himself over with that, because right now he was taking me to school instead of Ric.

Blue skies. Towering buildings. Warm wind hit my arms when I lifted them above my head, and I sang along to California Girls by Katy Perry. When the song was over I turned the radio down, my brothers eyes flickering to my arm. 

"What the fuck is that?"

Crap. I immediately hid it, placing a palm over the huge slit on my upper arm. "Nothing."

Emberto's eyes were hard. "You weren't in the club when it happened."

His tone was of disbelief. I remained silent and didn't correct him, knowing how he'd act if he found out I was in danger.

"Nina. Tell me you weren't."

"Nonno took me anyway."

"That fucking bastard."

"Its okay, Its just a scratch. I was lucky they only tried using knives and not guns."

"Was Adriana there?"

When I remained silent again, his hand tightened on the steering wheel.

"Don't get annoyed." I huffed. "Sometimes I wonder how you'll be at Adi's wedding."

"Probably end up killing Angelo."

A snort escaped me. That would be something I'd support, maybe even help him. "And what about mine?"

"I'd kill that Luciano Capone too. I don't want you anywhere near him."

I started playing with my freshly done nails. They were cherry red as always. "You met him?"

"A few times." He threw a glance my way, something dark and heavy in his eyes. "And as long as I'm alive, I'm not letting Nonno sell you off to those bastards."

As long as I'm alive.

I didn't know it then, but those words would soon chase me with taunt.

If only people could live forever.

~Today~

Tropical air. Skies blue. With every step I took, my heart pulsed harder against my chest. Beams of warmth shone on me, scrutinising eyes stared, and a combination of violin and piano music played an emotional tune, as if this was the happiest day of my life. It was all a facade.

Everyone knew what was going on. They watched, dressed in fancy clothes like I wasn't being thrown into a prison.

Hell.