Chapter 14

We drove for a while before we reached the Capones beach house. It was on another side of Long Island, and I wondered how many properties they really owned.

Must be a lot. Once the car was put into park I hopped off, the cold biting into my skin even more than when I hung out the window. Great.

I shivered with a gust of wind, trying to ignore the frosty air. Leandro was already on the beach, and with Elmo too. Had things to do my ass.

Luciano's look was mocking as we headed towards the set up on the sand. "You ever think before you throw shit on?"

Lowering my sunglasses I stared at the ocean."Nope." The water was a dark blue; almost black. Grey clouds were looming over a colourless sky, ice hung in the air, not visible but definitely an itch against my skin.

What a perfect day to wear a bikini. Leandro was already staring at my ensemble from the distance like I was insane.

As much as I didn't want to I had to greet him, and then made sure I kept my distance from them. Ironically enough Elmo was the one who requested my Nonno if he could drive me here, and though Nonno accepted he told me to keep my distance from them.

So that's what I did. I untied my wedges, slipped them off and dropped onto the wet sand a distance away from them, but still in their sight.

It was laughable how I was dressed like it was summer, meanwhile there wasn't even a sliver of sun showing today. It was beautifully depressing.

Along with the suited men on the chairs, this looked like a Jack Vettriano painting. My whole life was.

Seagulls squawked. The waves were violent, with the way each one crashed against the shore I got the impression that the sea carried a lot of anger.

At least it had a healthy way of taking it out. Some didn't have that option. Some coped by hiding beneath a shell, one that covered who they really were.

Because as long as they only looked at the outside, they wouldn't see the defective soul within.

After some time of watching the waves, my family arrived as one clutter of noise. Raul jumped in the sand, Mama yelled at him and Nonno sat down with the men.

The Capones red roofed mansion lay behind us, from which waiters spilled out carrying trays and dishes. Lunch was served.

I sat at the table, the only spot left being in between Elmo and Luciano. Just perfect, not.

Though I scoffed down my turkey sandwiches with no problem, it was quite hard having Luciano next to me. He never spoke, never even ate. He just listened to his fathers and Nonnos rambling with a bored expression.

I sipped my water and put it down, sinking into the rest of my sandwich when Luciano reached out for his own glass of water. My heart stilled. My glass was pulled to his lips, the sight immediately setting my cheeks on fire.

Nobody noticed. From the blank expression on his face, he made me believe he didn't either. It was clearly my glass, it had a red lipstick mark on the rim. He did it on purpose, I wouldn't accept any other explanation.

Ignoring what he did, I drank my water from the same glass, fighting the urge to lick my lips after. The breeze was chilly against my skin, but my body was hot to the touch. The hot and cold flashes made me believe I was sick. Luciano was an illness. A pesky and irritating illness I didn't know the cure for.