Chapter 6

I always loved winter. Even though New York was a dumpster in the cold, I still found a way to appreciate the crunchy snow and the fresh cold breeze against warmth from coffee shops.

I'd like to take that back now. The frosty morning air was unforgiving, pinching at my skin as the door finally swung open. Luciano took his sweet time.

Dark and completely empty eyes stared back at me, goosebumps rising on my skin; and it wasn't because of the cold. It was because of the lack of emotion in his gaze. I truly understood why this man was Capo.

To be Capo of any Camorra was a big deal, especially the Las Vegas one. From what I know about Angelo being Miami's Capo is that you must be feared - and not enough to make people shiver at the mention of your name.

You'd have to make them so afraid that they'd lay their lives down for you, that they'll never once think of betraying you. From the way I've seen people's faces go pale at the mention of Luciano, I knew he was terrifying as shit.

Throwing a drink at him should have gotten me killed but it hadn't. I still wasn't going to kiss his feet for sparing my life like Nonno expects.

Luciano leaned against the doorframe, towering over me with an expression somebody would have knowing they had their greatest enemy trapped in their claws. As usual he wore a dress shirt; white with a black tie. I was yet to see that man dressed normally.

My legs shifted their weight, a few long moments of hesitation brushing past me as the trees on the estate rustled. "I'm sorry." I finally muttered, looking anywhere but him. I wanted him to know I was lying, but Nonno said to make him believe it.

"For?"

"For throwing a drink in your face and..." I paused, my gaze moving onto him as pleasure sparked his eyes. He was enjoying this.

My lips tightened trying to hold back any other retorts. "And for calling you the spawn of satan."

Looking at my wrist, I continued in a robotic manner. "It was unnecessary and impulsive, and I-"

Suddenly he grabbed my hand, a gasp jumping out of me before he pulled my sleeve back and scanned the words Mama wrote for me to say. I didn't care if he saw.

All I cared about was his touch, and how it made my stomach tickle. It was a weird and foreign feeling and I needed to get away from it fast. After some struggling I snatched my hand back from him. That was the second time he touched me.

"Sorry huh?" His deep voice mocked, and I couldn't help but glance at his hair. It was always messy but today it was more, dark and thick.

I took my lower lip between my teeth. "I'm sorry. I really am..." I felt the words coming but didn't try stopping them. "I'll do anything to make up for it. Swear."

Great, now I've done it. Maybe he would forget about it, he doesn't seem to care enough to cash in on that. 

Yet he stared at me with doubt, his jaw ticking in thought. I seemed to have him on the hook. He glanced at his driveway, which was weird because it was empty.

He stepped back, his eyes sparkling with something playful. "You're washing my car. Tomorrow morning, 10 am." The door slammed in my face.

I set myself up for that one.

—————————————————————————

After pacing around the kitchen for 15 minutes and mixing my bowl of cookie dough I knew what I was going to do.

Luciano wanted his car washed, I'll do it. Maybe it would get me a fresh start with him, which was important considering I was marrying into his family. But that wasn't all - I never did anything without adding my own twist to it.