Chapter 41

~Nina POV~

The flight was torture. I was no longer Nina, therefore I didn't have the luxury of a jet and was sandwiched between two very creepy men.

I never let myself sleep, and only stared ahead into blank space. A coldness had invaded me, pulling away my sanity the further I got from home. I'd never felt so desolate, so miserable. Like someone had ripped away everything from me.

Leaving your entire life behind isn't easy, especially if it was one of luxury. I'd see just how valuable money is when get a job and have to live off of table scraps.

My world as I knew it was over. I was forced to enter a new chapter, one that'd either be the end of me or the start of something good.

Before the bearded creep next to me could touch my hair I grabbed his hand and twisted it the other way. Men. He never looked at me once after that, neither of them did.

The plane landed, I threw my passport in the trash and after changing my outfit into one of a completely different style, I caught a cab to a hotel. I had asked the taxi driver through google translate to take me to the cheapest one.

Sure the door was broken. There was a hole in the window where the draft came in but it was good. I was exhausted, and sighed into chilly air before laying down.

I wondered what Luciano was doing. How did he react when he found out I was gone, and did he care?

I kicked my shoes off and pulled the moist covers over me. I doubted he did. We were both trapped in this marriage. I did us a favour. I still had to be careful wherever I went thought - his mob was most definitely looking for me and when they did, I'd be mush in their hands.

—————————————————————————

The next day I went out to explore the city. I think I needed it because I was so stressed I couldn't whole night. It was hard adjusting to this sudden change.

But Reykjavík was a very peaceful and family orientated city. The breeze tickled my cheeks as I walked around the city. I met a few other tourists and once I saw how much of the world there was out there, I realised this plan wasn't such a bad idea. I was free.

I was lucky, there are some people in the mob that'd do anything to be in my place. I decided I was going to use my time exploring and learning about other cultures.

Of course I couldn't stay in this city for long, I always had to be on the move, so that was how the months went by.

I hopped around most of the major cities in Iceland, living off of 2 small meals a day to save money and in the cheapest hotels.

I made many friends, most of them international students. It was heartbreak getting to know people and then suddenly leaving them, but I was glad to know there were people my age. Normal people.

But I still didn't feel right with them. Maybe because I was on the run, or the fact that I was born in the mob. Unlike normal people I had to lie to fit in.

About everything - my age, my name, even my ethnicity. I started wearing wigs. Changed my style everyday, and was so paranoid I couldn't function.