Chapter 9

~Luca POV~

Vegas was lights against a black sky from up here.

The air was coming in form of an irritating heat, worsening the fire dancing on my skin. I flicked my cigarette off the railing and walked back into the restaurant, still feeling more than anguish, and by my tease of a sister-in-law too.

One of the hotel's guards hurried up to me. "Boss, you gotta see this."

———

Staring down at carpeting darkened by crimson, a lifeless body was pale from bleeding out. That was Sacre, one of my men. I didn't know him much but I did know he was greatly skilled, useful to my Camorra.

Though I didn't give a damn about his death, I did give a damn to wonder who was stupid enough to kill my soldier. This screamed Vitiellis.

"Get someone to clean this up and change the carpeting." I ordered Eduardo before heading to the bar where Fiero and my father talked. I stopped between them, pushing Fiero's glass of whiskey away. "Never took you as someone to kill my men one month into this agreement Fiero."

This would mean war, I could easily overlook this but as Capo I'm expected to stand my ground and retaliate on my end.

Fiero lowered his eyebrows, my father staring at him with a building anger. I knew what he would say, "we shouldn't have made any deals with the Vitiellis."

"You killed a soldier?" My father snarled, standing up. Fiero was beyond confused, and didn't reply in thought.

"Answer."

"Why the fuck would I kill your men?" He spat, standing up to square me but he couldn't even reach my nose. Nobody in this room could.

I grabbed his collar. "If you didn't kill him then who did?"

"I did." A smooth voice spoke. My father stepped aside to let Nina walk through. She crossed her arms, her eyes narrowing on my hand holding her grandfathers collar.

"He was holding my brother at gunpoint. I stabbed him in the neck for it."

Fiero stared at her with shock, and then at me. I released him hard enough to make him stumble back.

"Katharina-what are you saying?" Fiero whispered. Nina's eyes were heavy, a scarf around her neck and her arms crossed.

"I'm sorry if it caused any problems, but he was about to kill Carlos." Her gaze hardened on mine. "It was self defense."

My jaw tightened as I stared at her. This wouldn't mean war. Part of me hoped it would have, knowing it'd break the marriage contract and I wouldn't have to put up with this woman.

Another part of me wandered elsewhere, towards the unknown. The last thing I thought she'd be was a killer, and looking straight into her doe eyes I knew she didn't regret it. It was a discovery I didn't think I'd make - one that almost intrigued me. Most women in this world hid from the death and gore, they didn't cause it themselves.

She was loyal to her family, that I knew. Her brother was a fucking idiot, almost hit her today and she still risked it all to save his life.

"I think we should set off now." Fiero spoke bluntly, probably pissed we were quick to accuse him. He took Nina's arm and they left. What a fucking dinner.

Tomorrow would be worse.

—————————————————————————

~Nina POV~

The next day...

The sun burned down, the sky was blue, birds chirped and this was already the worst day. I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I didn't have a sore neck. One that was covered in purple bruises by the time I woke up this morning.