Prologue

Fire.

What do you think when you hear that word?

Do you think of destruction?

Do you think of the burning sensation it gives you?

Do you think of the pain it brings?

Or...

Do you think of the warmth it gives your cold shivering body?

Do you think of the light it emits in the darkness?

Do you think of the beautiful flowers that grow from the ashes left behind by the flames?

Like many others in this world, they thought of only the bad things that fire brought to them. But one child was strangely attached to it. It was warm, and it was safe. It brought light to her world when there was nothing but darkness. And after a single dream... the child knew why she was so attached to the flames.

But... it was also her fire that took her away from her family.

It happened when she was very young. The girl was in her home, watching the flames in her hands burn and flicker with the soft wind through the window. Her home was one of the only places in the four nations that was peaceful and stayed out of the war, mainly because not very people knew of this village.

Ermegarde. A name given to the village when it was first created. It was an ancient word that meant whole or complete. It was given to her village because all benders and non-benders alike would live here. The girl's people didn't care about bending or where everyone was from. As long as they were good people, they were welcome in the village. They were all equal, because they could understand that they were still human. They all bled the same color and at one point they were all once a single nation.

The girl always hoped that one day she could see the world be like her village.

All of a sudden, she could heard it. The screams of the people in the village. And she knew they were coming for her.

She walked out of her home, seeing the fire benders of her village defending the it the best they could. 

"What are you soldiers doing here?" The chief of the village asked, anger overflowing in his voice.

"We have done nothing wrong, so leave this village immediately!" The chief's wife shouted, a bright flame in her hands.

"We don't want any trouble. If you give her to us, then we shall leave in peace without hurting anyone." The commander said, a sly smirk on his lips as he created a flame in his hand.

The firebenders in the village stood forward, the earthbenders behind them with the waterbenders standing by their sides. They were prepared to defend their home.

"We don't know who you're talking about." One of the waterbenders shouted.

"So you can just take your leave and stay away from our village." One of the earthbenders shouted.

The commander shook his head and sighed, shooting his fire at one of the houses, burning it to ashes. The firebenders aimed their fire at the soldiers, but they deflected the attack. The people were never true fighters, because their little village was so peaceful, there was no true need to learn to fight. They still trained, but the Fire Nation trained harder.

"Now, tell me, where is she?" The commander demanded.

"For the last time, we don't know who you're--"

"Stop this now!" The girl shouted from behind the people. Everyone in the village and the soldiers turned to stare at her in shock.

The soldiers were surprised to see the girl, but the villagers were terrified to see her come out of her home. The girl had kept her hood up to hide her face, but everyone knew who she was.