Chapter 26

After the three got off of the monorail, Zuko, Iroh and Zeraphina settled in the the area near the first wall of Ba Sing Se. The area behind the first wall was reserved for refugees and the lower class residents of Ba Sing Se. In Zeraphina's opinion, it was disgusting, not because of the people, but because of how Ba Sing Se treated these people. It was cruel, and no fair to those who wanted a better life and protection from the dangers of the war.

One of the refugee organizers assigned them a small apartment in the lower regions of the outer wall. They were given a small apartment only meant for two, but with the way the world was beating down the low and weak was the way people thought was needed to survive.

When they finally got to their assigned apartment, it was even smaller than how it looked on the outside.

"How are we supposed to live in this dump?" Zuko growled as he glanced at their new small apartment.

"My Prince, it is only for a short while." Zeraphina said, "I don't think that we'll be here for very long."

"What makes you say that, dear?" Iroh asked, placing his hand on her shoulder, "Did you have another dream about the future?"

"Not of the close future, but my dreams show that we will not end up staying here in the lower ring for long." Zeraphina smiled and Zuko thought that he would listen to her this time. He listened to her about him getting his throne back. Her dreams were the only thing keeping his hopes up.

"Now them, why don't we go see if any of the shops are open to a little bit of bargaining." Iroh said and dragged the two teens out to do a little bit of shopping.

~~~~~

It took a few days to get completely settled into their new home, though Zuko was very much against staying in that place for too long. He would mainly wander around the town until sunset when he could come home to the dinner that Zeraphina cooked. He wouldn't admit it, but it was the best thing about his day to come to apartment where she was waiting with dinner.

One day, while Zeraphina was at the apartment cleaning, Zuko and Iroh were out in the town, Iroh holding a large pot of beautiful yellow-gold flowers still fresh.

Zuko glared at his uncle as he carried the flowers.

"What? I thought we should have something to brighten up our new place." Iroh said, "Besides, I thought that she would prefer something alive in the home, you know, to make her feel more comfortable. Or if someone decides to bring home a lady friend. Or perhaps if Zeraphina decides to bring home a lovely young man."

Zuko didn't say anything about the flowers, since he knew that Zeraphina was just staying in the apartment not only to take care of it, but because of her hair. The roots were growing back and she couldn't find anymore hair coloring just yet.

"This city is a prison." Zuko answered harshly, "I don't want to make a life here."

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." Iroh advised, "Now come on, I found the three of us some new jobs, and we start this afternoon."

"The three of us? You mean Zera will be working there, too? What about--"

"Don't worry my nephew, I found the right kind of hair coloring for her today for a cheap price. It won't last as long, but it will stay for long enough."

Zuko sighed, knowing that he didn't have much of a choice. They went back to the apartment where Zeraphina was busy sweeping the dust covered floors.

"Welcome back you two." She smiled and greeted them, "You guys find anything interesting?"

"Why yes." Iroh said showing off his flowers, "I found these wonderful flowers to brighten up the place."

"Master, they look wonderful." Zeraphina took the pot and placed it on the table, "And they smell very sweet. Nice choice."