Chapter 15

Zeraphina and Zuko waited for either Aang to wake up, or for the storm to die down. But deep inside, Zeraphina was waiting for Aang to wake up and escape. She wanted nothing more than to help Aang, but she didn't want to betray her closest friend. He depended on her for strength, and she depended on him for the same reason. And for their fates to be realized, Aang had to be released into the world and not be brought down by chains.

"You are very brave, Child."

"Thank you for your words, but I'm terrified for the Ocean and the Moon."

"And yet they are afraid for you." Zeraphina became confused by the voice's words.

"What do you mean? Why would the Ocean and the Moon spirits worry about me? Their great spirits while I'm nothing but a human."

"Ah, but you are not just a normal human, Child. You are a DragonBorn, and so much more."

"Please, you've been dancing around me being a DragonBorn for as long as I can remember. Tell me exactly what I am. After all, the book I had was destroyed in the explosion, so I can't read it anymore."

"I am sorry, Child, but that is something I cannot speak to you about. To realize your power, you have to unlock it on your own."

"Then at least answer me this. Why did the spirits call me Child of the Sun?"

The voice didn't answer, not a single word to give Zeraphina some clue to figuring out the answers to her questions. Slowly, her eyes opened to see the cold cave they were seeking shelter in. Zuko was still on her shoulder, barely able to keep his eyes open and Aang still sleeping peacefully.

"You're finally awake." Zuko said to her as she sat up from his shoulder.

"How long have I been sleeping for?" Zeraphina asked as she wiped the sleep from her eyes.

"A couple hours I think." Zuko replied, "You know, you've been talking in your sleep this entire time."

"Seriously? I was sleep talking again?"

"Yeah. Takes me back to when we were little kids. But this time, you were twitching, like something was wrong."

Zeraphina chuckled, "Heh, I didn't think you cared so much to take notice of my sleep habits. I have to say My Prince, that's a little creepy of you."

"Shut up!" He exclaimed, but that only made Zeraphina laugh.

"Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to make fun of you that much. Just wanted to lighten the mood a little."

They sat there in silence what felt like hours, listening to nothing but the roaring blizzard outside. All of a sudden, Zeraphina felt a rush of energy course through her body, and voices whispering in her head.

"Child of the sun, please help us."

"Come to us, Child of the Sun. Help us."

Zeraphina was quickly overwhelmed by the voices that she bent down and gripped her head in shock.

"Zera, what's the matter?" Zuko asked seeing her bent down gripping her head and breathing heavily. Zeraphina wasn't able to say anything through her rough, heavy breaths. Zuko quickly put his arms around her and pulled her close to try and calm her down. 

If Zuko had to be honest, he was terrified when Zeraphina was like this. He had only seen her like this once back when he was banished from the Fire Nation. She was panicked and terrified to allow anyone to get close to her. The only one who could get anywhere near Zeraphina except for Zuko, and even then it took him weeks to get close to her.