Chapter 16

It had been three weeks since the Fire Nation's attack on the Northern Water Tribe. The people of the great tribe were still recovering, but it installed within them a new sense of strength and a need to help fight in the war on a more critical level.

Prince Zuko, Iroh and Zeraphina had sailed on a raft for three weeks straight, no being able to eat or drink until they landed in a place occupied by a small Fire Nation colony in the Earth Kingdom. By being there, they were safe for the time being, and they were happily welcomed because they didn't know who they were. 

Zerpahina continued to keep her hair covered by a hood, thankfully the people there were understanding and didn't bother her too much with her hood. The people in the colony provided the three of them with a small cottage to stay in for the time being and were given plenty of care from the nearby spa house.

Iroh sighed in relief as he was getting a massage from the workers there.

"This is what I've been missing." Iroh said with a big smile on his face, "Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make on so tense."

Iroh looked over at Zuko and Zeraphina, who sat at the entrance to the spa house, but both of them frowned as they stared off at the water nearby. Iroh got up from the table and wrapped a robe about his body as he came to sit next to them. He looked at both his nephew and Zerpahina, seeing different expressions on their faces.

Zuko had a look of anger and disappointment, not against anyone, but mostly on himself. Zeraphina on the other hand had a look of pure sadness and regret. She was even unconsciously rubbing the scars on her chest.

"I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?" Iroh asked Zuko.

Zeraphina nodded.

"Three years ago today, I was banished." Zuko said, "I lost it all. I want it back. I want the Avatar. I want my honor, my throne. I want my father not to think that I'm worthless."

"I'm sure he doesn't." Iroh said optimistically, "Why would he banish you if he didn't care?"

Zuko gave Iroh a sharp look, stood up and walked away.

"Uh, that came out wrong, didn't it?" Iroh said.

"It's not your fault, Master." Zeraphina said, "This is a hard day for all of us."

Iroh gently placed his hand on Zeraphina's shoulder, "I know that this is hard on you as well. You were hurt just as much as my nephew, and the scars prove that."

"No, I have not suffered as much as the Prince. After all, I wasn't betrayed by my father, nor burned by my own flesh and blood for having a different opinion."

She stood up and smiled down at Iroh, "I'm going to try and talk to him. On a day like this, he shouldn't be alone."

Iroh nodded and watched as Zeraphina walked away, but he frowned at seeing how slowly she was moving. She still had not recovered from what happened back at the North Pole. When they escaped, she didn't stir from her sleep for nearly an entire week. And when she did wake up, she hardly remembered a thing that happened after the Moon Spirit was killed. Iroh and Zuko decided not to say anything about it until she could remember on her own, as to not freak her out.

~~~~

Zeraphina walked over to the cottage, sighing in relief when she found Zuko sitting by the window. He was glared at the water and she chuckled upon seeing that look on his face.

"I see you're still glaring at the water." She said, "Has three years at sea really made have such a distaste for it?"

"Shut up." Zuko said and she laughed again.