Chapter 20

~~~~~

Zeraphina watched as Zuko held his newly gifted dagger in one hand, pretending to fight an invisible enemy, her brand new choker around her neck. With permission from Fire Lord Azulon, she was allowed to spend time with the young prince and princess, for what reason, Zeraphina could only have one idea in mind.

Zuko groaned as he fell down, pretending to be stabbed in the chest.

"You waste all your time playing with knives, you're not even good." Azula said annoyed by her brother's antics.

"Put an apple on your head and we'll find out how good I am." Zuko said, his cheeks tinted pink in embarrassment at what his sister said. Zeraphina stood up from her chair and raced over to Zuko, grabbing his arm and pulling the prince back.

"You shouldn't threaten anyone, My Prince. Not even your sister." She said softly to the prince. Zuko sighed and lowered his fist, relaxing as Zeraphina let go of his arm. Azula smirked at this interaction, thinking of ways to tease her brother later on.

"By the way, Uncle's coming home." Azula said.

"Does that mean... we won the war?" Zuko asked.

"No, it means Uncle's a quitter and a loser."

"What are you talking about? Uncle's not a quitter."

"Oh, yes he is. He found out his son died and he just fell apart. A real general would stay behind and burn Ba Sing Se to the ground. Not lose the battle and come home crying."

"My Princess, please, it is not good manners to speak ill of those who grieve over the loss of their loved ones. Especially not about a father who lost his only son." Zeraphina said calmly, but inside, she was boiling with rage towards the princess.

The day that Lu Ten's death was announced to the royal family, it broke her terribly. Ever since coming to the Fire Nation, she had gown attached to General Iroh and his son, Lu Ten. Iroh was kind and gentle with her, always making her her favorite tea when he could. And his son was just as kind as he was brave. He became like an older brother to her, someone she could look up to in the darkness of the Fire Nation's rules and restrictions on her.

Zuko remembered that day as well, mostly the way that Zeraphina cried in his arms at night when he went to visit her. She didn't stop crying until dawn, and was locked in her room for being "overly emotional" over the death of a single soldier.

Zuko stepped in front of Zeraphina and glared at his sister, "How do you know what Uncle should do? He's probably sad that his only kid is gone. Forever."

"The best we can do for his spirit is to remember the kindness and bravery he has shown to us, My Prince." Zeraphina said with a sad smile. Just then, Fire Lady Ursa came into the room.

"Your father has requested an audience with Fire Lord Azulon. Best clothes, hurry up." She said. Zuko went rushing out of the room to prepare for meeting his grandfather.

"Fire Lord Azulon". Cant' you just call him Grandfather?" Azula asked, "He's not exactly the powerful Fire Lord he used to be. Someone will probably end up taking his place, soon."

Ursa looked down at her daughter in offense and disapproval, "Young lady. Not another word."

Azula brushed past her mother and ran off to get ready herself.

"What is wrong with that child?"

"The expectations of such a harsh and cruel world can have a terrible effect on those who seek their place in it. Especially in the young Princess, My Lady." Zerpahina said walking up to Ursa. The woman smiled down at the hooded girl.