Chapter 40

Zeraphina sat with her family for the first time in ten years, her little brother not letting go of her arm the entire time that she was telling her family about her adventures. She couldn't help but not stop smiling as her parents fawned over her, asking her about every little detail about her life since being taken all those years ago. They were surprised and concerned to know that their daughter was so close to the Prince, and had even started developing some feelings towards him. But she had a kind smile while talking about Zuko, a sign that she still trusted him. From how she was treated by the Fire Nation, it made their hatred for the nation even greater.

"... and then you cut your hair? Just like that?" Rian asked, playing with her short red hair.

Zeraphina nodded, "That's right. I thought it would be easier for me to hide with less of my red hair. I still colored it with hair oil, but I have to admit I kind of like the short look better." She laughed.

Her mother sighed and gently ran her fingers through Zeraphina's hair, "At least you kept the color. A symbol of freedom, that's what I would say."

"I know mother. I would never permanently change my hair color. I'm a DragonBorn, I had to keep something myself." Zeraphina chuckled, but then her amusement turned to a more serious expression.

"Actually father, there's something I wish to speak to you about." She said.

"What is it?" He asked.

"It's about the war."

Both her mother and father turned serious and Rian looked at them confused and slightly uncomfortable.

"Should I leave, father?" He asked and his father nodded.

Zeraphina smiled at her brother and kissed his head, "Don't worry, this shouldn't take too long."

Rian nodded and left the tent, leaving Zeraphina to speak to her parents.

"So, what about the war, dear?" Her mother asked.

Zeraphina took a deep breath and started explaining everything, "For the past few weeks, I've been traveling with the Avatar, and the Fire Nation believes that he is dead. We would like it for that to remain as is until our plan can finally come into place."

"What kind of plan?" Her father asked.

"It's an invasion plan that my friend Sokka came up with."

"And invasion plan?"

Zeraphina nodded, "Exactly. Very soon, there is going to be a total solar eclipse. The sun will be completely blocked by the moon and the Fire Nation will be helpless with their ability to bend fire. Without that edge against the others, our troops will be able to storm the Fire Nation capital. That's when the Avatar will be able to make a stand against the Fire Lord without his firebending powers and end this war once and for all."

"All in a single day?" Zerpahina's mother questioned, "That would be impossible to do under normal circumstances, but with the Solar eclipse,it just might be doable. A brilliant plan, Zeraphina."

"It wasn't me who created the plan. But because we only have a small set of people willing to help with the invasion, I was wondering father if you could spare a few of our warriors to help in this fight."

Her father didn't hesitate to nod and smile at his daughter, "Of course I wouldn't mind. We've been looking for an opportunity to finally attack the Fire Nation with our full force. This would truly allow us to do so. I'll send word to the other groups after I talk with your friend about the invasion plan, Sokka right? Whatever you need, my dear, do not hesitate to ask us for it."

Zeraphina laughed and hugged her parents tightly, thanking them over and over for their help and agreement to join the fight. When the parted, Zeraphina's mother grabbed her hands and dragged her over to one of the many trunks along the wall of the tent.