18

The three rode through the entire night, trying to get away as far as possible on the ostrich horse. Though, when morning came, they stopped at a nearby town and set up a place for them to rest. They sat on the side of the busy road begging for coins so they could buy their next meal.

"Spare coins for weary travelers?" Iroh asked as a man passed by them before he dropped a couple of coins into his straw hat.

"This is humiliating." Zuko said angrily, "We're royalty. These people should be giving us whatever we want."

"You forget, My Prince that you two are the only ones with royal blood." Zeraphina pointed out, "And besides, perhaps if you could smile once in a while then maybe people would be kind to you."

"Shut up, Zera." Zuko groaned.

"What the young lady says is correct, nephew. People will grant you great kindness, if you ask them nicely."

Just then, a pretty woman came by and looked down at the three.

"Spare change for a hungry old man?" Iroh asked.

The woman chuckled at Iroh, "Aw, here you go." She said and dropped a coin into his hat.

"The coin is appreciated, but not as much as you smile." Iroh flattered. The woman giggled and was about to walk away, when she noticed Zeraphina and gasped.

"Oh, my. What a beautiful daughter you have, sir." The woman complimented.

Zeraphina smiled and shook her head, "My beauty cannot compare to yours, Ma'am."

"Nonsense! Your skin looks flawless and you hair is so beautiful, I wish I could have hair as healthy as yours."

"Please, you are far too kind." Zeraphina bowed from her sitting position.

"Oh, what a sweet girl you are." The woman said then placed two more coins into Iroh's hat, "For the sweet words from a lovely young lady." She added before walking away.

A moment later, a rough man came walking by. Zuko glared at the man upon seeing that his eyes were set on Zeraphina.

"How about some entertainment in exchange for... a gold piece?" The man said smiling at Zeraphina. Zuko glared at the man even harder and wrapped his arm around Zeraphina's shoulders.

"We're not performers." Zuko growled.

"Not professionals, anyway." Iroh said, before he stood up and opened his mouth, but the man stopped him.

"I meant from the beautiful young lady." He said.

"She's not a performer." Zuko said.

"Not that you know of, Lee." Zeraphina said and stood up. She took off her shoes and began to dance, singing softly as she swayed gently to her song. Soon, people began to gather around her, watching as she gracefully danced and sang.

By the time Zeraphina had finished her dance and song, several people were staring at her in awe before they started clapping and throwing money at her. She smiled and bowed at the people as they walked away feeling at peace while they remembered her wonderful voice.

"What a lovely voice you have there, young lady." The first man said as he stepped closer to Zerpahina, "I don't suppose I could treat you to a meal later tonight. Just the two of us?"

Zuko was about to stand up and shout at the man, but Zeraphina glared at the man, her eyes boring deep into his soul and making him shake in fear.

"There is no way I will be going anywhere with a man that has such a disgusting soul. But, fair warning, you should be careful wandering the streets alone tonight. There could be a spirit looking for a brand new victim in the darkness of night." Zeraphina smirked and went to go sit next to Zuko as the man walked away with fear in his chest.