Austin

Darcy

MY EYES FLUTTERED OPEN as the sunlight streamed in through the window. I sat up in bed and stretched my arms upwards. I had a dreamless sleep. The first night I hadn't dreamt about Colton in months.

I reached over and grabbed my phone off the nightstand and typed out a text to my mom.

Hey mom, just thinking of you. Are you doing okay?

As I set my phone back onto the table I heard a commotion coming from downstairs. I pulled on a pair of shorts under my oversized tee and made my way down. When I neared the end of the staircase I heard voices. I could make out Colton and Tony speaking but there were 2 other voices I didn't recognize. I tiptoed around the corner and peeked over the side of the wall trying to be silent as I listened in.

"A few of my guys came into contact with the Irish last night. It ended in a gunfight. My men made it through untouched but the Irish were killed." The statement came from an unfamiliar voice.

"So they've breached Seattle. They want a war." I knew that voice belonged to Colton. He looked up and his eyes met mine. I froze.

"Good morning, Darcy. Did we wake you?"

"No. I just heard someone down here and came to investigate. I'll be going now," I stammered as I turned on my heels and went to sprint back up to my room.

"Wait, I'd like you to meet my associates." I stopped in my tracks and stood facing away from the men for a few moments before I turned around. My bare feet padded against the marble as I approached them.

"This is Luca Capano and his nephew Marco. Marco, Luca, this is Darcy."

Luca reached his hand out for me to shake it. As I put my hand into his I took in his features. He had black hair with tiny streaks of gray and deep brown irises. He wore a warm smile on his face that met his eyes. He was shorter than Colton but still stood over me by at least a foot.

He grabbed my hand and gave it a gentle shake. "Wonderful to meet you, Darcy."

I turned to Marco who looked like a younger version of Luca. His hair was the same color but wasn't peppered with gray and his were the same shade of brown. He had a sharp jawline and full, garnet-colored lips. My eyes trailed down to his broad shoulders and down to the sleeves of his black shirt that strained against his muscular biceps. He was very handsome.

My gaze must've lingered too long because Marco's lips curved upwards into a smirk. He also grabbed my hand but instead of a formal handshake, he slowly kissed each knuckle.

I felt a heavy hand on my shoulder and looked up to see it belonged to Colton. He had his eyes narrowed and his stare locked on Marco. I slowly stepped to the side and out of his grasp, his arm falling back to his side and his hand curled into a fist.

"I believe that's all. Contact me if you come across any new information," Colton said sternly.

Luca and Marco quickly said their goodbyes and left Colton's condo, the door automatically locking behind them.

"There's bagels on the counter and I brewed coffee not too long ago. Help yourself to anything," Colton stated as he turned his back towards me.

He started walking in the direction of a door off the kitchen. He placed a hand on the knob before briefly looking over his shoulder.

"There's a towel by the sink if you would like to wipe the drool from your mouth." He entered the room and slammed the door shut behind him.

My jaw dropped at his statement. He was obviously referring to Marco's greeting and felt very hostile about the situation for whatever reason. I narrowed my eyes in confusion and Tony shrugged at me.