E P I L O G U E

Colt

I HELD DARCY'S HAND in mine, she squeezed so tightly her knuckles were white and her fingernails left indents on my palm. Her face was red from straining and sweat perspired on her neck.

"You are doing so good, baby," I told her as I brushed her hair away from her face.

Excitement flooded through me. We got pregnant just a few months after our wedding. Darcy decided she didn't want to know the sex of the baby until it was born. The doctor alerted Darcy she was having another contraction, and it was time to push again. She gripped my hand even tighter, tucked her chin down, pulled her knees to her chest and pushed with everything she had.

The nurse counted down from ten. Nine, eight, seven, six, five, four...

She stopped counting abruptly. I looked up to see the doctor holding up a tiny, beautiful, pink baby. Tears immediately flooded my eyes and I looked at Darcy to see tears streaming down her face as well.

"A precious baby girl," the doctor announced.

I beamed with pride. A girl. Our baby girl.

"Thank you," I said to Darcy as I rested my forehead on hers, "Thank you for our daughter, thank you for being you, thank you for loving me."

They placed the tiny pink baby onto her chest. Darcy rested her cheek against the top of her head. Tears still flowed down her cheeks and stained the striped pink and blue hat the nurse had placed over the baby's dark hair.

"What's her name?" The nurse questioned.

Darcy looked at me with a wide smile. "Lyra Bishop." She replied.

My heart could've leaped out of my chest. My mother's name was Lyra. A tear slipped from my eye and Darcy reached up and placed a hand on my cheek. I placed my hand on Lyra, who had already latched onto Darcy's breast. She was perfect. They were perfect. This moment is perfect.

My girls.

I found my purpose in life at that exact moment. I would do anything to protect them. They were my entire world. This was worth everything we had endured.

Darcy and I were made for each other. Our parent's past, the dreams that led us to each other, all the pain we conquered together. They were all pieces of an elaborate puzzle.

Eventually everything connects.