Decisions

I FLEW UPSTAIRS AND ran into the master bathroom, shutting and locking the door behind me. My heart hammered inside my chest and my breaths came out in short, rapid gasps. I slid down the door and sat cross legged on the cold tile floor. When Colton proposed I figured I'd have a year or two to plan, not four days.

Breathe in, count to five, breathe out.

I continued that until I calmed down. Sweat trickled down my temple and I wiped it away with the hem of my shirt. For a moment I began second guessing everything. I loved Colt, but was this the right decision? Were we moving too fast?

I felt a stinging sensation in my hands and looked down to see they were curled into fists and my nails were digging into my palms. I slowly unraveled my fingers and stood up. I glanced at myself in the mirror when I felt my heart drop into my stomach. How the hell am I going to explain this to my mom? I buried my face in my hands. I haven't talked to her much since I went to visit her in Montana. I grabbed my phone from the counter and began to dial her number with shaky hands.

"Darcy?"

"Hey, mom."

"Are you okay? It's after midnight."

"I'm fine... okay, I'm not fine. Do you have a minute to talk?"

"Of course, hon. What's on your mind?"

"Colton proposed. He wants to get married in 4 days." I told her, trying to hide the shaking in my voice.

"I know."

"I just don't know if I'm doing the right thing, this all happened really fast and- wait, what did you say?"

"I said I know, baby. Colton called me when he first wanted to propose. He wanted my blessing. I see how happy he makes you." My heart swelled.

"Thanks, mom. That's all I needed to hear. Love you," I replied with a smile.

"Love you too, Darce."

I hung up the phone and clutched it to my chest. As soon as mom told me Colton wanted her blessing, I knew this was absolutely the right choice. I heard the bedroom door shut and knew that Colton had entered the room. I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth.

I unlocked the door and my gaze fell upon Colton's back. I leaned against the doorway and watched how his muscles flexed as he climbed into the bed. I walked over and climbed in beside him. My hand searched for his under the covers and once I found it, I intertwined our fingers.

I gave Colton's hand a squeeze and looked over to see him digging through the drawer of his nightstand. He closed the drawer and turned towards me, holding a small wooden box in his hand. I opened it to see a ring. It was an emerald cut diamond on a thin gold band. I looked up at Colton with my mouth open in shock.

"It was my mother's."

My heart stopped and tears welled in my eyes.

"Colton, I can't accept this."

"Yes, you can. She would've wanted you to have it."

He pulled the ring from the box and slid it onto my left ring finger. It was small, but simple and beautiful, which was exactly my style. It fit perfectly and I held it up to the light to look at it. I pressed a kiss against Colton's lips.
"It's perfect." He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me to his chest.

"You asked my mom for her blessing?"

"Of course. I wanted to make sure I did this the right way."

"What if we got married tomorrow?" I asked. Colt gave me a cheeky grin.