7. Home Alone

It was day two of our search. Oliverio got me a new phone but we could've done that yesterday. It was okay, though. I was thankful. I had a new phone, that's what mattered.

Without wasting any more time we head over to the mountain.

"We're not going to pass here on our way back. There's a shortcut over there," Oliverio said and pointed to the right. "We can follow there when coming down. It's faster."

"I hope this shortcut is smooth, unlike the other one we took while going home yesterday."

"It's smooth."

We stopped at the tree we had stayed under and I brought out a towel from my bag. It was bigger than the one I used the previous day. Oliverio laughed when I brought it out.

"What? I brought a bigger one so you will sit too."

He shook his head and looked away. "If we both sit, who would keep a lookout for your dad?"

"We'd take turns."

"So what's the extra space for?"

Typical Oliverio and always trying to prove me wrong. I rolled my eyes and continued spreading the towel. "What if we both get tired?"

He didn't reply. All his focus was on the surrounding areas as he scanned for any movement whatsoever.  He remained standing for more than thirty minutes before he finally sat with a sigh.

I turned to catch him staring. Why was he staring at me? Was it because I was partially obsessed with the new phone he gifted me? I couldn't resist that baby sitting in the palms of my hands. It was just like my old phone but better.

We continued to stare at each other silently. I expected him to look away but he didn't. That was getting odd. But, those eyes, those green eyes of his. I'd not had the opportunity to stare into them since the first day at his house. They looked dreamy that warm September afternoon.

"Rufina?" Oliverio called out softly, "It's your turn."

His voice snapped me out of my reverie. "Uh... Um... Yeah, yes, I forgot."

I could feel Oliverios' eyes on me when I stood up and walked away. I took my place behind the tree and continued watching the area for Dad. Why wasn't he showing up? Was I sure the description on that paper meant anything?

"Oliver, I don't know..."

"What's the matter?"

I shook my head and turned in his direction without meeting his gaze.

"I don't know."

"You don't know what?"

The words felt heavy in my mouth. If I told him how I felt he might get angry and not help me anymore. But I needed to be honest with Oliverio. He deserved it.

"I'm not sure he's coming here," I finally said to him.

Oliverio remained silent.

"I'm not sure the description on the paper means anything." Oliverio frowned and I felt my heart break.

"But you found it in your dad's room, right? And the video call."