16. Officially On A Mission

Our walk back was quiet. The only sound I could hear was that of our footsteps, the trees, and my never-ending thoughts.

Oliverio took the lead and opened the house for us to enter. He went straight to the living room where he continued pacing back and forth. I sat down to relax my tired legs and Dad took the seat opposite me.

I studied his face for some time. He looked drained.

"I'll get you some water," I said to him and left for the kitchen. I poured him a glass and took it to the living room with the remaining jug of water.

He took it, having me an appreciative smile before gulping it all down. When he took up the jug to pour himself another glass, I was thankful that I brought the extra water. He finished the water and stretched himself in his chair, getting into a more relaxed position.

Oliverio stood in front of the television with his hand folded across his chest. "Oliver?" I called but was interrupted by a sound.

I turned to look at dad. His chest rose and fell rhythmically as he let out low snoring sounds. Both of his hands were on his stomach as his head lay carelessly on the chair.

"It seems like this talk would have to wait," I said, smiling at Oliver who was also looking at Dad. He smiled back.

Standing up, I went over to where Dad sat sleeping. I removed his shoe gently, trying not to wake him up, then placed it by the side and turned to Oliver.

"We need to scout the area around your mum's house. We need a hideout."

"Just like how we did at the mountain," I replied and Oliver nodded. "When Dad wakes up he'll give us the location, but what would we do then?"

Oliver sighed as he released his hands and tucked them inside his pocket.

"We would have to wait and study the area first. We need to understand what's going on in that house. We have to see for ourselves."

I looked over at Dad sleeping. "Hopefully he would know some things about the place that could serve as a lead."

Oliverio's phone beeped and he brought it out of his pocket. "Excuse me," he said, then walked out of the house.

Going into the visitors room, I got a blanket and used it to cover dad before going to my room. If we were going to infiltrate the place and set up camp, we needed to alert Mum so she could assist us. But on second thought, it was risky. Her attacker might find out she was hiding something, and then try to extract the information from her.

Sighing, I sat on my bed. My problems kept multiplying. Silently, I wished everything were just a dream; A trance that felt so real. But I.t wasn't. We had no other choice but to fight.

Oliverio didn't have to suffer with me. I was going to pay him but what he was doing was worth more than the pay. Sometimes I just wished he wasn't bothering himself so much. I remembered the look in his eyes when I said I needed all of him, and the touch of his lips on ... I shook away the thought. I needed to concentrate and stop my fantasies. A serial killing maniac had my mother and we weren't sure of her safety. That thought gave me a grave feeling I so much hated.

I took my phone to see a message from Mel. It read: how are you, Rufina? Any leads on your mission? You know we'd be ever ready to help you. A thousand times my dad has attempted to come down to Tepoztlan to look for you. Please tell me you've found your dad.

Oh! Mel, I thought. I hadn't only found my father, but my mother too. I thought of replying to her, but that would make her ask more questions. She would want to know my mum's whereabouts. My reply would make her worried so I didn't bother to tell her anything, including the fact that I'd found my dad. If I told her that too, she'd start wondering why we hadn't come back together.

Olifina: Love And Trouble जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें