13. Child Meets Parents

After my longing to finally meet him and shoot my many questions, it was unlike me to just stand there gaping in shock. I couldn't remember much of what happened that night, but I know it wasn't much. Most likely, I had limped into the house and shut myself up in my room without a word.

It's day six of my search. I'd found Dad but not quite. My ankle still hurt and it made it difficult to walk down the stairs. I held firmly onto the railing and took one step after the other.

"Dad?"

"Rufina," he said and stood up from his chair immediately. His face held a pitiful expression.

I walked over to the living room where he and Oliver sat. "How did you find me here?"

"I'm meant to be asking you that."

"Dad!" I called.

"What?"

"Dad!" I folded my arms, glaring at him.

"Okay, okay, I followed you guys."

My mouth fell open in shock. "How? I thought we went unnoticed. We were watching you and you didn't notice us, right? Oliver."

Oliver raised his hands in surrender, "Okay, I think I should leave." He ignored my glare as he walked upstairs.

"Why did you come here? Surely you already know the reason why I'm here."

He sighed and said, "I'm here on business."

"Since when did you become a businessman?"

"A month ago."

'Dad!' I exclaimed in anger. He still had his witty attitude. I wasn't going to waste my time talking to him when he was taking me for granted. I turned and started going upstairs but he called me back. Stopping, I turned around to face him.

"I'm ready to answer your questions," he said. This time he sounded genuine so I went back to the living room and we both sat to talk.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want you to get worried."

"At least you could've left a hint. I wouldn't have been as worried as I was if you had at least told me when and where you were going. I remember when mum left, she..." I stopped and frowned at him.

"Go on, say it. At least she told you that she was going to meet her sick mother right? I should've done that. No, you would've loved it if I lied to you."

I looked away from him trying to hold back the tears.

"Who were you with?"

"When?"

"Last night. Who were you with?"

"I don't think you want to hear that."

"I didn't want to hear any of this in the first place, so tell me. Who were you with?"

Dad looked down sadly.  'Your mother,' he finally replied.

My mouth dropped open in shock. "Wha... well, I never suspected."

He didn't say anything.

"But why?"

"Rufina, please... I am also angry at her."

I shook my head and stood up as my eyes well up with tears. "I can't believe this." I walked away upstairs and he didn't even bother calling me back. 

I locked my room door and stayed in there, crying. The last time I saw Mum wasn't pleasant at all. It felt like history was repeating itself.

A knock sounded on the door. I didn't reply until the knocking became persistent.