40. An Eventful Welcome.

We had already put all our bags in the car so we didn't have to carry anything while we walked down. Rodas was waiting for us by the road. We picked him up and continued on our journey which started by six that evening.

I was the only one against our movement at night. The rest of them were okay with it. Oliver said he preferred travelling at night because the road was less congested. Mum was a night owl -She loved everything about the night. Rodas on the other hand was okay travelling at any time. Although it was nice going under the cover of the night. At least we would not have to face judgemental stares from a lot of people.

Mum and I sat at the back while Rodas took the front seat. He put on the radio and tuned it to a channel playing different songs.

The car moved along the road smoothly. I was enjoying the feel of the night breeze on my skin before it started to rain and Oliver had to raise the glasses. I rested my head against the window, watching the passing scenes of the night as we drove by.

It felt cosy, making me sleepy. Not wanting to miss out on the experience, I tried to keep my eyes open and not fall asleep. It was only when Mum tapped me awake when we arrived home that I realized I had fallen asleep.

"We're home," she said, smiling.

I stood up and stepped out of the car. We're finally home.

The front room was filled with the bags the truck owners had dropped. I called Mel to tell her that we were coming. She had spare keys to the house so she opened the door for them to put our bags.

That night we did not make any arrangements. Mum had packaged some food in a flask we brought from Tepoztlan. We shared it before we went to sleep. Mel hadn't a key to access the rooms so the rooms remained the way I had left them weeks ago. We opened the windows wide to let some fresh air in.

Rodas and Oliver used the visitor's room while Mum and I shared my room. She wasn't very bold to step into Dad's room and use his bed after being absent for the number of years she was. After so many restless hours of trying to sleep, I went downstairs to the kitchen.

My breath hitched in my throat as I made out a figure in the darkness. The figure formed a dark silhouette in the corner of the living room. Seems the person figured out I had noticed their presence because, whoever he or she was, they started walking out of their hiding place. Before I could scream a hand covered my mouth from behind. I struggled with all the strength I could muster but this person overpowered me.

"Quiet now, you don't want to cause a ruckus."

I knew that voice. It came out smooth and deep. I've heard it so many times I wouldn't mistake it.

Out of the shadows, Andreas walked as stealthily as ever. His gait was so put together as if being in my house in that manner was a normal thing for him. Yes, he visited me sometime before, when we were in a 'sitsituationbut Dad did not like him.

"You better calm down miss, I'm with a gun," the man behind me spoke. His breath smelled of strong liquor.

"How was your little trip to Wonderland?" Andreas asked with a smirk.

He signalled the man behind me to free my mouth.

Thump! I spat at him. "You disgust me."

My actions didn't seem to piss Andreas off even a bit. He was used to my aggression.

"Oh, love, you've always had a fighting spirit. We are meant for each other."

My jaw hardened as I clenched my teeth together in annoyance. "I'm sure you didn't come to my house after midnight for some small talk. Cut to the chase."