18. Jogging And Searching

I slipped out of my room quietly, wanting to have a feel of the early morning chill and quiet. Trying not to wake anyone else, I opened the front door and sat on the rocking chair outside. The chirping of the early birds echoed through the woods, combined with the faint cricket sounds. After some minutes I stood up to call Dad. I knocked on his room door for a while then left without receiving a reply from him. 

Dad always loved sitting outside in the mornings when it was calm and quiet.

At seven, Rodas came out for his jog. He was later than usual. I decided to call Dad to join us. After knocking on his door for a long time without any reply I became worried and barged into the room only to find it empty.

Oliver heard the knocking from his room so he came down to check what was happening.

I turned sharply to him, gradually starting to panic. "He's gone."

"What? He said we weren't going anywhere today. Wait here, I'll look for him." Oliver left the house immediately. 

"I can skip my jog if you want company at home," Rodas offered and I turned to him.

"What do you mean? We're still going out for our jog."

So we went out but I was very distracted throughout. Roads noticed this and stopped to ask.
"Rufina, what's up?"

"Huh?"

"Something is a fishy, spill."

"Nothing's fishy. Come on, let's go." I jogged a few steps but stopped as I noticed Rodas wasn't following me.

"You're worried about your dad."

Busted!

I couldn't deny it any longer. Not being able to find Dad was almost driving me crazy. I looked away from Rodas with a frown.

"Rufina... Oliver said he was going to find him. They normally go out together so he must have an idea of your dad's whereabouts."

"Rodas, I understand he is trying to help but Oliver should stop treating me like a baby. I need to take up certain responsibilities. He can't just expect me to sit back like all is well considering what's at stake. I need to know what's happening."

Rodas placed a hand on my shoulder. 'It's okay, no one says you're not a big girl but you're also Oliver's baby." He winked at me.

I couldn't stop myself from blushing at his words. He patted my shoulder before turning to walk away.

"Where are you going?" I asked after him.

"To look for your father, what else?"

I quickened my pace as I went after him.

"Wait for me!" I shouted as he started jogging again. "where would we look?"

"I should be asking you that," Rodas returned the question.

:The place we found Dad with Mum should be a good start," I said, then led him to that area.

When we got there, the place was empty and quiet. There was no sign of movement at all.

"He isn't here," Rodas stated the obvious and I nodded in agreement.

"Do you know where your mother's house is?"

"No, Oliver only told me about the place. But I don't know my way there."

"Can you describe it for me?"

I tried to remember exactly what Oliver had told me the previous night about him and Dad's hideout. I sighed, having hideouts used to be our thing.

"He said there was a small pond close to the place and a lot of rabbit burrows."

I paused to see if Rodas could get any leads from what I was saying.

"Is that all?"

"No, he also said the forest was thicker and darker there. And some of the rabbit burrows looked like snake holes. There are some caves there too."

"Sounds creepy. I think I know a place like that."

Rodas led me through the woods and we walked for a long time. Slowly, we encroached into a thicker part of the forest. Oliver wasn't lying at all. I could see some holes on the ground which was rougher than other parts of the forest I had been in.

"We're here," Rodas said, stopping by a small cave.

"Rodas? Are you sure this cave is safe?" I asked, pointing to the cave on my right.

Rodas was about to answer but stopped as we heard people approaching us.