47. Love And Light

After much persuasion both from my end and Melisanda's, Uncle Casey allowed her to join us for the dinner in Tepoztlan. There was no chance he was going to let Veronica come with us so we didn't bother him too much for her. Also, she wasn't too interested in coming.

That evening when we started cooking, Oliver dropped by. He helped in part of the cooking before he left.

"Thanks for dropping by," I told him as I saw him off at the door.

"You're welcome."

I yawned loudly and Oliver laughed.

"I'll leave now so you can get some sleep."

"You don't have to go..."

"No you need to rest now, okay? Goodnight, " he pulled me in for a hug. "Dream about us," he whispered in my ear.

"Yes, sir," I replied tiredly as a tingling sensation formed in my stomach. He kissed me on my forehead before turning to walk away. My smile lingered as I watched him walk down the road. He turned to give me a last glance before continuing on his way.

I went into the house and turned off the lights in the dining. My whole body ached from the work of the day. We had wanted to make things simple but Mum put on her big game and dragged me along with her.

Immediately I got to my bed I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning I woke up very early only to find Mum was still asleep. I laughed at the irony. She was the one very enthusiastic about the dinner but here I was, awake and she, sleeping.

I decided not to disturb her as I started with the cooking. She joined me later and took over the main cooking process. She didn't forget to express her anger at my decision not to wake her.

At midday, we were done with cooking just as we had planned. We were sitting in the living room waiting for Oliver. After close to thirty minutes of waiting, a car pulled up in front of our house. I could see it as I sat by the window in the living room.

Honestly, I thought we were going to take the bus but Oliver was a man full of surprises. He stepped out of the car just as Mel Was crossing over to our side of the street. I hadn't seen her there.

They both stopped when they saw each other. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I was sure they were introducing themselves. At least I didn't have to do that again. They shook hands and walked together towards the house. I turned to Mum. "They're here."

"Oh, finally," said Mum. She had gotten tired of waiting.

Oliver pushed open the door without knocking. "Hello, are we ready to go?"

"Ages ago," I joked, hugging him before hugging Melisanda who came in after him.

"You guys have met each other already," Mum said to them.

"Yeah, I met Mel just outside," Oliver explained.

"You didn't tell me you were bringing a car," I said to him.

"I didn't even know I was bringing it until yesterday. I told my uncle that I was going to get tickets for our journey today and he said I could use his SUV."

"Wow!" Mum couldn't hide her excitement, "That's great."

"Yeah, and I guess you guys are done?"

"Yeah, I think we should leave now so we can arrive there early." He looked at his wristwatch. "It's almost one o'clock. If we start our journey now we should arrive at six, latest."

"The dinner is starting by 6:30 we won't have much time," Mum complained.

"If we're lucky we should arrive at 5:30."