46. Onward Together

I arrived home ten minutes later. Mum was alone. She sat in the kitchen dicing some vegetables. It was something she did whenever she wanted to relieve herself of some mental or emotional stress.

"Rufina, where have you been?" she asked immediately after she saw me.

"I was with Oliver. I'm sorry," I apologized.

"Your grandparents wanted to see you. They're back at your uncle's place now."

"Oh, Thank God they haven't gone. I'll go to them now. See you later, mum." I picked up my phone and rushed out the door.

When I got to Uncle Casey's place, it was already 12, midday. I met Veronica at the door.

"Dad has gone out briefly," she told me.

Grandma and Grandpa were in the living room with Aunt Mireya.

"Rufina dear, come here!" Grandma waved me over. She engulfed me in a tight hug.

Grandpa was ready to take me along with him to his home in the USA but I declined. I didn't want to live in the USA. It was far from home, my friends and family.

I went to meet Mel in her room after staying with my grandparents for a while. Immediately I entered her room she shut her book and looked up at me. "Where were you last night?"

"With a friend."

"A friend. Javiera? No, Javiera would've told me. But you got us worried."

"I'm sorry. I sent Mum a message."

"At eleven in the night."

I just realized I hadn't checked the message Oliver sent Mum. I sighed then walked over to sit on the bed. Veronica was still outside.

"Where's Aunt Jojo?"

"In Veronica's room."

I left her and went to see Aunt Jojo. Aunt Jojo was packing up her things. She was also leaving that day alongside Grandma and Grandpa. I helped her pack some of her things as we discussed. Melisanda and Veronica later joined us. Veronica came with the news that her father had returned.

Aunt Jojo told us so many things from the topic of family, to love, to marriage and France.

"Girls, take this tip from me. Only marry someone who you feel at peace with," she advised us when we bantered her on the topic of love.

I wished Aunt Jojo could stay longer but she had to return home. Aunt Mireya came upstairs to call us. Grandma and Grandpa were set to go.

We helped Aunt Jojo carry her bags downstairs. Grandma and Grandpa had their things down already. Melisanda, Veronica, and I carried the things into the car. Grandpa Alba called me aside for one last talk.

"Rufina, over here," he beckoned to me. "So what are your plans for college?" he asked when I finally got to where he stood.

I was shocked by his question. When Dad was alive, he did not allow anyone else to train me in school. This was because of the rift between him and his family members. It all started when he got married to Mum. They had kicked against his choice. It was a tough battle that severed the relationship he had with his family. Ever since then, he had been managing the affairs of his family without input from anyone else.

When we started working with Uncle Casey, it was a formal agreement and we were regarded just like the other staff. Dad had been trying to save up for college, but over time I lost interest. There was something else I wanted to do. With Dad gone, Grandpa had access to support me in my pursuit. I had mixed feelings about the whole ordeal but decided to leave my sorrows behind and go for the things that would make me happy.