18.

Christopher 'Chris ' Vazquez
Compton, CA

"When you coming to see me, Christopher?" My grandma from my dad side asked

"Soon grandma, in two weeks it's uncle Francisco birthday so I'll be there," I said as I put some cologne on, and putting my jewelry

"Okay mijo, I expect to see you all. God bless you"

"Amen grandma, you too," we said goodbye.

Following my father's death, my sister and I would travel to San Diego with my mother to see my father's family more frequently. My father was of Mexican descent and a hard worker. He worked two jobs to support his family until he was fired from one of his jobs. That's when his oldest brother offered him a job in the Sinaloa cartel; my father was skeptical at first, but he gave it a week to see how well it paid.

My mother was pregnant with India at the time, and they were both young adults struggling to pay the bills. He was one of the distributors, and my father kept everything low-key. Except for the cartel's members, no one knew he was a member, and he continued to work as a construction worker during the day. My father was killed in a plane crash in Mexico when I was ten years old. The man that thought me so much, left my mother absolutely devastated and my sister & I fatherless. My mother was driving from work to the house three years later. When a drunk driver collided with her vehicle, she died before the cops arrived.

However, being with my father's side of the family, as well as my mother's side, pulls me closer to them.

I looked at the time on my phone seeing it was 6:29 pm.

I took my car keys and walked into the living room, where Lanai was happily napping on the couch as my grandmother cleaned the kitchen.

"Would you like me to put her in my room?" When I asked her. she turned around.

"No Chris, where are you going?" She questioned as she examined my outfit.

"I'm going out, but I'll be back before her bedtime later"

"Hm, you better not bother Jamila," she stated emphatically.

I told her, "I won't," but she knew I was lying.

"Hmm," she said as she resumed cleaning, and I walked out to see Nolani and India exiting the car with a bag of food.

"Big bro, where are you going?" India inquired, and Nolani entered the house.

"It's none of your business, Grandma call you?" I inquired, and she replied with a nod.

"Yes, she did," She said.