17.

Nolani Luna
Los Angeles, CA

I registered for my fall classes earlier today

I registered for my fall classes earlier today. Fortunately, I wasn't late because school started in two months, but people would register on the first day of classes. Which meant that some students would have early morning classes, late classes, or terrible professors. I was pursuing a degree in business because it was something I had always wanted to pursue. My parents wanted me to be a doctor or a lawyer, but neither of these professions appeal to me. For once, I'm going to do something I've always wanted to do.

I gathered my documents and walked off of campus to my car. The campus was large and stunning. I took out my phone and texted Chris, who had requested to meet for lunch.

I continued along the trail, responding to messages from others. When I collided with someone, my papers spilled on the ground, and the person quickly gathered them.

He handed me my papers and added, "My mistake, I wasn't looking."

"Thanks" looking at him

"No problem," he said with a smile, as a woman called out his name

"Q, hurry up" I turn behind me seeing a lady carrying a bucket of clothes

"That's my mama, helping my sister move in early. What's your name?"

"Nolani" he shakes my hand

"Beautiful name. I'm Quavious, I'll see you around" I nodded and we walked separate ways

***

I entered the little cafe and immediately noticed Chris, who was wearing his construction clothes and eating a bagel. I approached him and sat in front of him.

"Hey sis, what's up?" he asked, nodding his head. "Want some?"

"No thank you, but what's up?" He requested that we meet here before he returned to work. Chris worked for a Hispanic company as a painter.

"I have a big problem," he said pushing his bagel aside staring out the window "I'm trying to get back with Jamila"

"I thought that it was going to be a major issue," I explained.

"It's a significant problem when she's already seeing someone, Lani," he said, I looked at him seeing that he was getting frustrated.

"Chris, you had so many opportunities to do the right thing for her and you didn't. All I can say is that she should be hap-"

"Lan-"

"Please don't interrupt me; I'm being completely honest with you. Allow her to be happy" He leans back in his seat and shakes his head.

"Ion know man, Ion know."

"You don't want to see her happy?" I asked

"I do" he looked out the window "I'll talk to her" I shake my head

"Alright Chris"

We started talking about other stuff, he asked me about school before he had to go back to work.

When we were finished, I returned home and noticed a strange car parked in the driveway.

I parked my car, collected my belongings, and walked over to the slightly open door.

When I came in, I was surprised to find no one in the living room or kitchen.

"Hello!" I said as I was putting my belongings on the sofa, my father's office door opened and he walked out "What was the purpose of the open door? And why is there a car parked in the driveway?"

He walked to the fridge, grabbed a water bottle, and said, "Must have been your mom leaving the door open, and I'm having a meeting in there."

"All right," I murmured as I gathered my belongings and walked up the stairs to my bed. My phone rang, and I answered it without looking.

"Hello," I said, closing my eyes.

"I'm Lauryn from Church, I was wondering if you'd want to join the girls and myself at the lake?" She questioned.

"I'd love to, but I can't because my grandmother is unwell and I have to look after her," I lied.

"Oh, I'm hoping she'll feel better soon. Bye!" After she hung up, I got out of bed and decided to shower before heading to my grandmother's place.

***

"Jamila!" As Jamila walked towards her car, Chris called from the porch, and she stopped when she saw me.

"Lani!" We exchanged hugs

"You look good, where are you going?" I asked.

"I'm going to get some drinks with some friends, and your cousin is being obnoxious," she grumbled, "but I'll see you around, I'm fairly late."

"Have fun," I said as she climbed into her car; she waved as she drove away, and I walked to the porch, where Chris was looking annoyed.

"I should go to her little happy hour," he said with an evil smile

"Boy! Please don't ruin her evening "I stated

"Oh no," he murmured as he walked inside, and I trailed behind him, seeing Gma baking cookies with Lanai.

"Need some help?" I asked Gma, she turned around with a smile

"I would hug you but heads dirty, but sure" I washed my hands first, drying it after.

"We making star-shaped cookies," Lanai said holding the star-shaped "You want to make a heart?"

"Sure," I said grabbing the heart and cutting some pieces.

~~~~~~~~~~~

🦋 I'll be making a couple changing in the book but meanwhile enjoy this chapter 🦋
🦋I'll be posting again tm!🦋
🦋Comment & Vote🦋