21.

Chris Vasquez
Torrance, CA

"Lanai, stop!" I was on the verge of yelling at my daughter, who was kicking and screaming because she didn't want to go and was cranky

"I can come if you wish." I turned around to see Jamila standing there in her pajamas.

"Hey jamila," India yelled from the backseat.

"Hey India," Jamila said, smiling broadly.

"It's alright; I'll have India accompany her to the back and she'll be fine. I'll go to a gas station and get some snacks for her." I remarked this as I shut Lanai's door, who had calmed down.

"Sure, I don't mind going," she responded.

"I'm sure, you enjoy your week off" I was about to get in the car with her when I was pulled back.

"I'll just go grab my bags," she remarked as she returned to her parents' house, and I climbed into my car.

"Have you gotten your response yet?" India questioned, and I replied, "No." My sister and I may argue frequently, but she is someone I can count on in any situation. When I needed her, she was always there for me. I noticed a now-sleeping Lanai in my rearview mirror.

"I'll take the back seat," India remarked as she exited and moved back. I looked up to see Jamila with her suitcase. I exited, making sure to fully open the trunk, and assisting her with her luggage.

"Thank you," she said as she climbed into the passenger seat, and I closed the trunk as I climbed into the driver's seat. When I looked at the clock and saw that it was 5:02 a.m., I realized that we had a 2 hour and 30 minute trip ahead of us.

"I could drive if you want me to," she responded.

"You good," I simply replied as I drove off to the interstate, turning up the music a notch. Even though it was a two-hour drive, I opted to leave early so that we could get some sleep when we arrived, and then travel down to Mexico the next day for my uncle's celebration.

"Jamila Please pass my blanket to me." India said as she scooped it up from the floor and handed it to India.

"Thanks" India said

She said, "You're welcome."

***

We got at my grandmother's house early in the morning since I had to stop a couple of times for this girl to pee. I pulled into her driveway and parked.

"Are we going to leave our belongings here?" India enquired.

I walked out and opened the lanai doors, carefully lifting her up so she didn't wake up. "Yea, since we're heading back on the road tomorrow," I remarked, and she nodded.

As India rang the doorbell, we all walked to the front door. The door opened seconds later, revealing my grandmother, Griselda.

"Mis nietos" my grandkids, she exclaimed enthusiastically as she hugged us. Lanai began whining, "Jamila, it's been a long time since I've seen your beautiful face."