28.

Nolani Luna

After the tumultuous events of yesterday with my sister, the house seemed to carry the weight of unspoken tension

After the tumultuous events of yesterday with my sister, the house seemed to carry the weight of unspoken tension. I dragged myself out of bed, the heaviness in my chest lingering. A quick shower helped to shake off some of the emotional residue, but the events of the previous day still played on a loop in my mind. My uncle had changed his flight, opting to leave early this morning. Guilt gnawed at me as I recalled the chaos that unfolded, and the quiet atmosphere in the house only accentuated the aftermath.

I ventured downstairs, the air feeling different. The silence echoed, and I couldn't shake the unease that lingered. The house was empty, and I couldn't ignore the hollowness that permeated the space. In the kitchen, I spotted a container of overnight oats I had prepared two days ago. I grabbed it and sat at the island bar, a solitary figure in the quiet kitchen.

The front door creaked open, revealing my mom. She closed the door behind her, and her weary expression caught my attention. Placing her purse on the island table, she greeted me with a forced smile.

"Hey sweetie, has your dad come down?" she asked, her eyes reflecting a mix of concern and exhaustion.

"No, I thought he went out," I replied, looking up at her.

"No, I left him in bed. I had to run some errands. Let me go check on him," she said, dismissing herself with a tired sigh as she headed upstairs.

Alone in the kitchen, I finished my breakfast in solitude. The quietness of the house felt oppressive, and the unanswered questions from the previous day gnawed at my thoughts. Once I had cleaned up, washing my dish and putting it away.

I ascended the stairs and entered my room, where my neglected phone lay on the bedside table. Unlocking the screen, I was greeted by messages that I had unintentionally ignored.

India: I was spending time with my dad's side of the family, but I'm back home. Spa date at 2?

Elijah: I was calling cuz I wanted to hang out.

I texted back a quick response to India, confirming the spa date. I replied a message to Elijah letting him know we can hang out later today.

I settled in front of my vanity table, the soft glow of the mirror illuminating my reflection. I began the ritual of styling my hair, the rhythmic hum of the curling iron creating a soothing soundtrack. Mascara enhanced my lashes, and a touch of lip gloss added a subtle finish. Satisfied with the result, I grabbed my purse and keys, sending a quick text to my mom to let her know I was heading out.

I cruised to a nearby flower shop, the colorful blooms in the display catching my eye. Daisies, my sister's favorite, adorned the shelves. I picked out a vibrant bouquet, adding a selection of her preferred candies for an extra touch. At the cashier, I paid for the gifts, expressing gratitude to the friendly lady who handed me the carefully wrapped flowers.