30.

Elijah
2 weeks later

I fixed up my white button-up shirt before leaving my apartment

I fixed up my white button-up shirt before leaving my apartment. I pressed the elevator button, patiently waiting for the doors to open. Today was the day I was going to ask Nolani to be my girlfriend. I don't usually do this stuff. I've never done shit like these, but I'm willing to change a couple of things for her. I wanted to make it special since she had never had a boyfriend before.

When the elevator doors opened, I stepped in. I had to make a stop at the flower store before heading to her house.

Was I nervous? Heck yeah.

I was nervous, but I got this. I sure do got this.

Spotting a flower shop, I walked in.

"Hola," the older Mexican woman said.

"Hola, pick up," I replied. "Elijah." She nodded and went to the back. A younger woman emerged with a bouquet of flowers.

"You've got good taste. It'll be eighty," she said. I nodded, paid for it, and thanked her, making sure to leave a tip. It's good to support small businesses. I always tipped; you never know whose day you made.

I walked out with the bouquet of flowers, placing it nicely on the passenger seat before driving to Nolani's house.

I parked on the curb, texting her that I'm here. When I saw her open the door, I walked out, heading towards the passenger side, grabbing the bouquet of red and black roses. I remembered her saying she loves any flowers but her favorites are roses. When she turned around, she smiled, walking towards me.

"You look beautiful. I mean, you always do, but wow," I said admiring her black fitted dress. "These are for you," I added, handing her the flowers.

"Thank you! They're so beautiful! And you look nice. Never seen you in a suit. Special day?" She said, getting in. I chuckled.

"A date," I simply said, closing the door and getting in the driver's seat as she put her seatbelt on.

"You know I don't like surprises, so where are we going?" She asked.

"You'll see. Just sit there and enjoy the ride," I replied, and she nodded, connecting her phone to the Bluetooth as I drove to our destination.

When we arrived at 71above in Los Angeles, she expressed her excitement. "I've been dying to come here," she said. "You did the big one. How will I top this?"

"You can top this," I said, glancing at her.

"Eli, you know that I won't. This is out of the league, but I'm ready to try the food."

We parked with valet, and I got out, opening the passenger door for Nolani. I extended my hand to help her out, and she grabbed it, stepping out with her free hand taking the bouquet and her handbag.