8.

Elijah Brewster
Crenshaw, CA

"You sure you good bro?" I asked Chris through the phone as I made my way to the barber shop, since I didn't have no clients

"I'm fine Elijah, you good?" He asked

"I'm fine" I said making a turn, hearing him chuckled

"I'll see you later bro, Nani just got here" he said hanging up, after the whole argument he had a couple days ago with Nolani's dad. He has been distant, but I know it has to be something deeper than that.

Back in my high school days I would spend my summers in California, Chris was the first person I met on the block. We been friends ever since, we told literally everything to each other. Chris, Darryl, Rakim and Kyle we would all do hood shit together, go to parties together, smoked our first blunt. Rakim and Kyle were like bestfriend, they were about the same age. Kyle was two years older than me, he was the more hood one out of all of us, I got jumped into the gang when I was a junior year in high school, when Kyle found out and he was pissed. But Chris and them, said it wasn't worth joining a gang. I always wanted to follow my big brother Kyle footsteps, but he would always tell me that I had to be my own person. Until three months ago, he got killed walking out of the front door of my fathers house.

*

"Yo Eli!" Kyle yelled from the kitchen, I walked out my room with a durag on seeing what he needed.

"What happen?" I asked grabbing a garlic bread of the plate

"Come eat " Kyle said serving his food, he learned how to cook as a kid with my moms. His dream was to become a chef and have his own restaurant.

I took a plate serving some cajun shrimp pasta with toasted garlic bread on the side. I started to dig in, my brother did cook better than my momma.

"So what you think about this?" Kyle said putting his plate down, and pulling out a small box and passing it to me. I clean my hands, opening it.

"Damnn, this bitch nice" I said staring at the ring, my dad walked in the front door locking it behind him and made his way to the kitchen putting his briefcase on the table.

"Sup old man" dapping my dad up "For my baby" my brother said with a big smile

"What's for your baby?" My dad asked while  Washing his hands

"This" I said passing it to him, and kept eating

"How much it cost you?" He asked placing it on the island table