9.

Nolani Luna
Crenshaw, CA

When I saw Cassie talking to Elijah as I got to the backyard gates, I hugged her tightly because I knew she needed it

When I saw Cassie talking to Elijah as I got to the backyard gates, I hugged her tightly because I knew she needed it. Especially on a day like today, which was the birthday of her boyfriend. She often talked about him to me, and I met him once, but just for a few minutes because my father was being a jerk that day at my grandmother's house when she decided to introduce us to him. However, I would occasionally see him at my grandmother's house. I didn't mean to say bitch, God forbid me but he is one.

"Thank you Luna, I really appreciate it," she added with a smile.

"Anytime sis," I said, kissing her cheeks and wiping away a tear.

"They let you out with a crop top?" She asked with a chuckle

"No, I changed at Gma's house when I drop off Jewel," I said looking up at Elijah "Hey"

"Wassup," he said giving me a head nod

"Alright, let's got see the family" Cassie said to Elijah walking and I followed behind them.

"Pops! Mom!" Elijah said, his parents turned around with a big smile seeing Cassie

"Cassandra" his dad said hugging my sister tightly "You look so beautiful daughter" she nodded thanking him

"And you don't age at all, pops" she said giving him a smile And he laughed

"You really look beautiful, darling" his mom said and she looked at me "Well hello"

"This is my younger sister Nolani, this is Shanna, and this is Roger," Cassie introduces us, and his father smiles as he shakes my hand firmly.

"Beautiful name" his mom said giving me a hug, and I hugged back

"Thank you" I said shyly

"We going to help ourselves" Cassie said holding my hand

"You should," Roger remarked as he grilled more steak. We walked over to the table where the meal was being served, I served myself while grabbing a water bottle and took a seat.

"Look, Auntie Luna," Nani exclaimed, pointing to her painted face.

"You look so cute Nani" I said hugging her

"Too tight aunty" I let go off her "Ima go play with my new friend" I nodded and she bolted, I blessed my food and started to eat.

When I looked around, it was clear that everyone was having a good time. They appeared to be smiling, but I knew they were sad. I would have been as well. I wish I'd met Kyle under better circumstances, but I'm glad he made my sister so happy. After I was done, I threw my plate away. Going right back to my seat.

"How did it go the other day with your father?" Darryl, who was sitting next to me, asked.

"He was ranting the whole time," I told him, "but I ain't paying attention to it."

He shook his head and added, "He for sure wasn't acting like a pastor the day," but before I could ask him what my father said that day, Rakim called him to sing a karaoke song.

"I'll be back," he said as he stood up and walked up to Rakim.

It was the funniest thing I've ever seen when they started singing a random song.

"Where cassie?" I heard India said I looked up, she finally showed up

"She was right there," I remarked, pointing to the now-empty seat; she had most likely gone inside.

"Come on," India urged as I followed her into the house. "Where is cassie?" she asked. Elijah was the only one in the kitchen.

"In Kyle's room," he said and we nodded, andHe took us to it and showed us where it was. When we entered the room, she was seated, browsing through a box labeled Kyle's Memories.

While Elijah stood at the entrance, we sat next to her.

"This is a picture of him that I took when we went to the beach," Cassie says as she shows us a picture of him.

I kept looking at more images of him and noticed that he resembled Elijah. She continued to show us photographs till she came across a folded letter and sat on the bed. She chuckled as she cautiously opened the note.

"He kept all my love letters," she remarked, surprised. "I swear he threw them away," she added.

"Never, boy had a collection of those," Elijah chuckled as he opened another box and brought out an album book, telling Cassie, "He put them all in here along with other stuff."

"Can I take it home?" She asked

"You can have it sis, the album he made was for y'all," he added, a sorrowful smile on his face. "He said it was to demonstrate it to y'all kid, what real love was."India and I were both awestruck.

She nodded, tears in her eyes, and said, "Appreciate it."

We all returned to the backyard, where Chris was now salsa dancing with Elijah's mother.

He was making an attempt.

"Aye mom," Chris said as he spun his legs in a fluid motion.

I'm having a great time, and I hope there's more to come.

"Titi Luna, let's dance," Nani said, dragging my hand over to where everyone was dancing. I had no idea how to dance and my cheeks were burning.

I didn't want to dance in front of people I ain't know.

"I'll join you," Cassie remarked as she and India walked towards us.

"We going to make our own dance move, okay?" India said to Nani who had the biggest smile

"Okay!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

🦋Comment & Vote🦋