20.

Nolani Luna
Long Beach, CA

"Girl, my parents are always on a trip," I said as I put Kayla on speaker.

"I'm surprised you haven't hosted any parties in that house; I've thrown like 10 parties in my parents' house and got busted because these folks destroyed the floor, doors, and tables," Kayla said casually, as I folded my clothes.

"Can you tell me when this happened?" I questioned.

"It was when my parents forced me to join the chorus so I could have something to do while they were gone," she chuckled, "but anyways, how was your date?"

"It was good, we went to Santa Monica Pier and had a lot of fun, we got chased by a crackhead because Elijah wouldn't give him money," I reminisced, laughing.

"I'm happy you had a good time!  Those crackheads are different," she explained, "one time they stuck their finger in my cousin's mouth because he didn't give him a dollar."   We both busted out laughing

"I would've cried," I said as I caught my breath after laughing so hard.

"He cleaned his mouth with soap, girl. That's why every time I see one, I act deaf," she added, still giggling."

""You're wrong, Kayla," I remarked as I stuffed my clothing into the drawers.

"Do you have anything planned for today?" Kayla inquires,

"I just finished folding clothes, might go to my grandmother's for a little," I said, tidying around my room so I wouldn't have to clean when I returned. "You want to come, we're just chilling," I said. 

Sure, let me know when you're outside." she responded, and I hung up the phone.

I glanced through my notifications and saw that I had a few messages, so I decided to respond to a few of them.

Cassie: Gma doing a cookout, come - 1:38 PM

Me: I'll be there! - 1:57 PM

India: you think you can do my nails tm? I'm going to go visit my grandma from dad's side -12:50 PM
Me: sure, lmk the time - 2:00 PM

Eli: I'm out of town, I come back on Tuesday. Would you like to see the spot when I get back - 12:44 pm
Me: yes, just let me know the time and I'll be there - 2:03 PM

I tucked my phone into my pockets, grabbed my keys, and walked out the door.

***

We were all seated in front of my grandmother's house in the front yard, while Chris and Rakim moved the grill to the front

We were all seated in front of my grandmother's house in the front yard, while Chris and Rakim moved the grill to the front. I and the daughters just returned from buying groceries and Starbucks beverages for my grandmother.